Hydrometer reading

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linconjackson

Reaction score
Hi, new to the site and new to brewing. I have already dumped one brew only 36 hours into my brewing career due to high temperature of 30c! So started another this afternoon, a coopers bitter brew - pitched yeast at 30c which the instruction said was ok and now at 26c but I am expecting it to drop to about 21/22c as I am using an aquarium heater seat at 20/21c. I did forget to complete a hydrometer reading though will this matter. Any advise would be much appreciated to help this newbie build some confidence.

Cheers, linconjackson

It matters if you want to work out how strong your brew is when fully fermented,apart from that not really. :cheers:
Just leave it alone for at least a week before you look at it (oy no peeking)then use hydro to check gravity & let us know, you will always get replies & help on here. ken.

Take a reading now mate . No harm done, then wait for a week or so and take another to see how its progressing. :thumb:

Thanks, I will, or won't, if you know what I mean. I will keep the lid tightly closed as per your advise and give it a look next Sunday. At what point can I expect to see some fermentation action, that will make me feel better seeing some progress as it were :thumb:

if you have airlock fitted to fv then normally active within 24hrs but some fv's are not airtight & don't get airlocks bubbling.
:thumb:

Thanks lads you will be the first to be updated on my progress. Happy brewing and even happier drinking :party:

Latest posts

Back