still smells of beer!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brycey

Regular.
Reaction score
Alright guys

I'm getting ready to rack my brew into the bottling bucket,i've cleaned and soaked overnight with oxiclean on saturday but when i took the lid of just now to sterilise it still smells of beer.I used the bottling bucket to ferment my first brew as it was all i had at the time so it had beer in it for just under three weeks.So do you think it isn't cleaned properly or is the smell nothing to worry about?

Thanks
B

Don't worry buddy as long as you've properly sanitised it it'll be OK :thumb:

Both my FV's have a 'residual smell' and I've not lost a brew yet (tempting providence I know :whistle: ) but I use Videne and an quite happy with it.

It's nothing to wory about, all the kit ends upsmelling of beer as like you said it's had beer in it for 3 weeks!
So long as it's clean and sterile it'll be fine also your only bottling from this bucket so your brew won't be in there for any length of time.

Andy

Cheers guys

I had best crack on and get it sanitized then :thumb:

B

This drove me mad at first. The problem is trying to rinse/wash out the smell while it's still wet.

To get rid of a smell I do the following...

Rinse out with cold water ... allow to dry fully.
Soak in VWP for half an hour, rinse out and allow to dry fully.
Rinse out with cold water ... allow to dry fully.

This does away with any smell. I don't do this very often, only when changing brews :)

It's not really neccessary though Scott as cleaning and sterilising will be fine, the smell won't affect the brew!

Hi I agree it probably won't make a difference, but a soak in bicarbonate of soda will probably neutralise it if your that concerned.

Andyhull said:
It's not really neccessary though Scott as cleaning and sterilising will be fine, the smell won't affect the brew!

I don't like the idea of brewing a clean tasting lager in a vessel that reeks of cider though ;)

Plastic absorbs odours, maybe give it a week with a bicarbonate solution in it if it really bothers you but it won't do any harm

Soak mine in hot water and washing up liquid overnight, then soak in D10 sanitiser for half an hour and rinse out with cold water. I have to say mine don't smell of anything in particular.

+1 for VWP. Just make sure to rinse the **** out of it. like it's been said, beer odour is fine, but if you brew something distinguishable or undesirable - elderflower sticks like a fly to horse ****, and cider/wine can leave a vinegary smell - the smell can transfer over with no flavour effect, but a smell that remains and stays unwelcome.

Back