Absolute beginner here

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pelipar

Reaction score
Hello Everybody,

My name is Rich, but people cal me pelipar or pel for short (long story). I've seen a few of your posts and replies and you all seem like a nice bunch, so I'm going to ask you for some friendly advice and guidance.

I'm going to a friend's 30th in October and it's a home brew event (great idea). However, I've not done anything like this before and didn't know where to start.
I've ended up getting a brew kit from Wilkinson's as money's a bit tight at the mo; which included a big bucket(!), a plastic cask, a plastic spoon and a siphon tube. Looking at all of your posts about gravity and the like, this seems a bit basic. Either way, I have a wilkinsons golden ale brew on the go and it seems to be bubbling away so far.

The problem is, i really haven't got much of a clue as to what i'm doing. The instructions weren't that clear. I'm the type of person that needs details!

Anyway, it'll be nice to meet you and hopefully you chaps (and ladies?) can impart some of your wisdom, tips, tricks, and knowledge onto me, so I don't screw up the sacred drink!

Cheers :cheers:

Pel

If you have made it and its bubbling away you have already cracked it, for now dont bother with the gravity readings, if it tastes nice then job done.

I take all my gravity readings and note them down, to date I havent actually worked out what they are :smile:

Thanks for the welcome guys.
It's just stopping bubbling at the moment. I think it might be time to transfer it to my cask. I'll give it a little taste once it's in there. It's looking good so far!
Here's hoping we continue to get it right!
Cheshirehomebrew, your post has made me feel a lot better about not knowing about the gravity reading. haha.

Advice taken on board Smileyr8. I put on on Monday and was following the 4-6 day guidance on the box. I'll leave it on for another week if you recommend.
It needs to be ready by 6th October, and looking at all the posts I may have left it a bit late...

Advice taken on board Smileyr8. I put on on Monday and was following the 4-6 day guidance on the box. I'll leave it on for another week if you recommend.
It needs to be ready by 6th October, and looking at all the posts I may have left it a bit late...

Did you use any additions, malt or extra sugar (these usually lengthen the maturation period), I made one of these just recently and added 500g of dextrose (brewing sugar), it was a perfectly acceptable pint from 2 weeks however its improving with additional time.

No, it was a basic kit from Wilkinson's. Just the two tins and a packet of yeast. It said no need for malt or sugar.
It does say i should add some sugar when transferring it from the primary. Is this basic sugar, or something special?

Also, love the avatar ;)

No, it was a basic kit from Wilkinson's. Just the two tins and a packet of yeast. It said no need for malt or sugar.
It does say i should add some sugar when transferring it from the primary. Is this basic sugar, or something special?

Also, love the avatar ;)

You can just granulated sugar, nothing special is required.

By the avatar do you mean Fin & Jake? They are my sons favourites.

Hello & welcome Pel, something you should definately consider buying for your barrel if you haven't already done so is an S-30 valve cap & the co2 hambleton bard bottle, to keep your keg charged with co2 as it does loose it as it reduces in volume.

SmileR8 yeah I've seen the cartoon a few times. I'm sure there's a few jokes there that only adults will get!
Thanks for the tip Les. I've had a little look at the prices of the new cap and CO2 bottles. It might have to wait til after my next pay day though.
At the moment, my brew is looking good! Can't wait to have a taste! :drink:

Hi Les,

With the kits being on cheap at both Wilko & Tesco recently, I have been experimenting some what, the Golden Ale 2 can kit can easily become a 3 can brew i.e 2 kits leaving a spare can to try with something else.

I see you have listed to do Coopers Russian Imperial Stout, do you think you will ever get around to doing this? The Coopers site & that recipe in particular is what prompted me to try mixing and matching. My favourite types of beer are Stout of course & the American style IPA's (I lived over there for a while and can recommend the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale), my goal is to make a stronger stout (5%-7% ABV) with the citrussy hop notes of some additional "C" hops.

Hi Les,

With the kits being on cheap at both Wilko & Tesco recently, I have been experimenting some what, the Golden Ale 2 can kit can easily become a 3 can brew i.e 2 kits leaving a spare can to try with something else.

I see you have listed to do Coopers Russian Imperial Stout, do you think you will ever get around to doing this? The Coopers site & that recipe in particular is what prompted me to try mixing and matching. My favourite types of beer are Stout of course & the American style IPA's (I lived over there for a while and can recommend the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale), my goal is to make a stronger stout (5%-7% ABV) with the citrussy hop notes of some additional "C" hops.
Hi Smileyr8,
I've got the three kits for the Russian Imperial Stout & bought a 60l FV as the ferment goes volcanic. i'm just waiting for temperatures to cool off a bit, as last week it's been 26 degree in my flat.
I've tried the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale & a very nice drink it is too, the Youngs A.P.A. kit is close to it.

Hello gentlemen.
I would like to keep you abreast of how my first brew went.
IMAG0046.jpg

It turned out OK! Obviously I only did the basics, and didn't work out the gravities or anything but it went down and stayed down!
I'm looking forward to trying a few more now. Just have to finish off the barrel now ;)

K-j3QfRRBP_bgHIIenZStybKToNN4lkSRtcTLrG06pA=w962-h544-no

The cat also enjoyed it!

Cheers for your help.

Latest posts

Back