lemon/lime zest or juice in lager kit?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abeyptfc

Landlord.
Reaction score
hi troops, I'm due to start my first brew shortly so if my idea/suggestion sounds pants please tell me,I'm not planning on doing it right away obviously.
I was just wondering if anyone has tried lemon/lime zest or juice in a beer or lager. I was planning on starting using the coopers kits and was wondering if you could put a small amount in, (similar to bud light with lime I was tanking in Vegas :D , never seen it here in the uk) or will the acidity ruin the yeast or fermentation process?. probably best just to add the lemon twist at the end eh?
cheers
mark. :cheers:

If you wanted to do this, best bet would probably be to add lemon essence into the fermenter. Not sure how this would turn out or quantities you would need.

An alternative would be to dry hop with come American hops, Amarillo gives a very nice citrussy flavour, as does cascade (more grapefruity)

I guess the main problem with this would be the oils in the lemon/lime causing a flat head as discussed in this thread where Shaddapo wanted to add corriander and orange peel to a wheat beer kit

Back