Resealable bottle caps

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint

Forum jester...🏅🏆
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm having to store my empties in the shed...this leads to double checking for creepy things on bottling day and much scrubbing out.
I've seen some resealable snap on plastic caps on eBay. ..thinking. ..drink beer,rinse bottle straight away with hot water,leave to drain then cap. Sanitise bottling day.
Thoughts please!

Cheers

Clint

The ordinary metal ones are reuseable - don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I should know, I'm the Great High Priest of Parsimony.

Main issue is that your bottles need to be 100% dry or it's a breeding ground for mildew. You could put a dash of StarSan in each before putting the cap on, the come bottling day give it a shake, drain and you have a sanitised bottle ready for beer. My Dad used to do similar but with sodium metabisulphite solution.

Personally I just store all my bottles upside down in crates so any residual moisture can go and they won't fill with dust. Sure a spider could get in there but come bottling day I just look inside each one for anything that shouldn't be there, then give it a squirt of StarSan from the bottle squirter/washer and stick in on the bottling tree ready for beer.

I might get a big plastic bucket fill with starsan solution and keep my bottles in that..
I recon I can only get 20ish bottles in a trug when I soak with oxi to get labels off, your gonna need a 3/4 trugs to store 60-80 bottles etc and a shed load water left sloshing around. Remember bugs always seem to die into water filled containers.

Best solution, just keep them filled with beer, rinse, dry and pop in a crate and rinse out again prior to sterilising however you do that. just my 2p worth

https://www.gearbest.com/home-gadge...NaBiHulgT3aohUcQzhVlR0zCGslYnDFhoCGssQAvD_BwE
1501886179270828367.jpg

available in expensive silicone too, but you can sanitise in a pressure cooker if your harvesting and stashing yeast.. and the seal will let out excess co2 pressure..

I reuse bottle caps after a rinse in water and dip in starsan.

the bottles are nuked in the oven.

so far all is good.

I gave up using aluminium foil because of a lot of articles like this...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...-confirm-metal-devastating-brain-disease.html

i've changed my saucepans to stainless steel and give aluminium foil wrapped kit-kats a wide berth now :eek:

I've spent half my working life touching / breathing aluminium so that doesn't bode well for me. 52 now and so far so good. You're right about the bottle tops - they can be used more than once and as a bonus they make great mini ashtrays and comedy hats for sleeping cats. Probably a thousand more uses too....

Latest posts

Back