BIAB AG #1 Attempt at Electric India style Saison

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdeDunn

Reaction score
So, had my first go at a BIAB today, efficiency not great (61%) but I know where I went wrong and can correct when I brew next.

Anyway, too much wort into the FV for the size of my pot (19.8 litres) thanks to my mess ups (faffing around with dunk sparging....). Aiming for 18 litres in future as a more realistic volume.

Post boil OG was 1.040. I meant to take the pre-boil OG too (was on my check list and everything) but got distracted by my wife. Target was 1.045, which I adjusted to using 260g of light DME (Beer Smith 2 tools to the rescue). Tasted the wort (before adjusting), didn't taste too bad, although surprisingly bitter (my wife tasted it too, her response was yuck... I think she thought it would taste like beer... lmao). Colour was a pale straw colour (thanks to the pilsner malt...).

So, anyway, into the FV at 20 degrees C, pitched (re-hydrated) 1 packet of CML Saison De Lille yeast (got some MJ M29 I want to try next time around, so I can compare). Wrapped the FV in blankets to keep temperature a touch higher (room sits at 19-21 degrees C, FVs usually show 21-23 degrees C).

Not going to put the recipe, as still tweaking it. It's pretty much the one from DIYDog though.

Anyway, made a start, here's hoping for something drinkable at the end... Oh, and my wife found a round SS trivet whilst out and about that made a perfect support under the mashing bag, kept it from sitting on the bottom of the pan nicely. :thumb:

Just took a sample from this to see how it's doing (sample tap, so lid wasn't removed).

SG is now down to 1.016, so I'd say it's definitely still fermenting (was pretty darn cloudy too). Wife and I tasted the sample afterwards. Couldn't particularly taste much in the way of funkyness. I'm afraid I couldn't split the flavour down to tell you that it had hints of spice etc either (a fair bit of coriander and black pepper went into the boil though... lmao). What I can tell you is it was nicely bitter, with a lovely hoppy flavour (1 of my fave hops in there after all, in the form of the Amarillo...). I was aiming for a refreshing beer, and that's what so far we have. :thumb: I suspect I may have fermented a bit too cool (20-23 degrees C) to get the fully funky effect from the yeast.

Colour is a very cloudy straw colour.

Looking forward to trying this again when it's finished fermenting. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back