BIAB brew day - first ever!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
so after much too-ing and fro-ing on how to do it, what volumes etc - decided to just get stuck in and have a go.

So, stove top BIAB no.1 has been done and I have learnt LOADS!!!

Grain bill:
1.5kg Maris Otter
200gms rolled oats

Mashed at 67C in 5L water for 60mins in a pillow case
Mash out / sparged with 3L water at 80C (basically dunked the pillow case in and out for 5 mins)

Note 1 - pillow case retains too much water. It was a nightmare getting all the liquor out, resulted in twisting, squeezing and all sorts of shenanigans until i finally got 7.5L of preboil wort in my pan.
Note 2 - the grain swells up a bit more than i thought and my pan with the sparge water wasnt big enough to properly dunk my pillow case. I reckon using a proper muslin bag will work much better.

Rolling boil
Hop bill:
7gms Challenger @50 mins
10gms Challenger @10 mins

Final volume of 5L and crash cooled in the kitchen sink filled with ice water.
When the temp settled to 30C i took a reading - OG of 1080!!!

Note 3 - i didnt want an 8% abv beer so i always intended to dilute it slightly to hit my desired OG. but this was way above what i expected when i punched the numbers in to brewersfriend calc.

Diluted it to an OG of 1055 resulting in just short of 8L. Split it between two demijohns and added an Safale-04 starter that had been happily bubbling away for a few hours.
Now lets wait and see what happens!

Note 4 - when i put my actual numbers in to bewersfriend, it says with a boil size of 7.5 and batch size of 5l, to get an OG of 1080 my efficiency was 75%!
really really surprised at that.

As far as IBU and SRM are concerned, how does diluting it affect the numbers? Do i just punch in my final batch size volume and take it as true, or how does that work? But with those ingredients etc, i should have an IBU of 23 and SRM of 5.5
No idea if that good bad or ugly...........

pillow case BIAB.jpg

need a bigger pan.jpg

bottled.jpg

note 5 - the kitchen smells fantastic! My wife does not think the same as me and was a bit annoyed. Next time i'll open the kitchen window and put the extractor fan on!

Congratulations. Your good efficiency is due to your twisting and squeezing, and that's a good thing. With SRM and IBU just tap your boil volume and efficiency into Brewers Friend and you'll get a ballpark figure. No turning back now. :twisted:

Looking good nicks90 you have obviously done some research and know what your doing. keep it up now, and you will be up scaling soon I bet. Ive been brewing for about 2 years now. Started off with a couple of kits, then BIAB, now sat in my kitchen brewing all grain batch number #19 Citra mosaic DIPA., whilst drinking a peanut butter chocolate imperial stout. God I love this hobby!

DSC_0797.jpg

Latest posts

Back