Gelatine beef vs pork

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninja_geeze

Reaction score
As above any preference when used for beer clearing ?
I have found a supplier who sells both beef and pork versions in 240 bloom.
up to now i have used just the 120 bloom supermarket stuff that is a bit weak and expensive bought in small packets.

Try....when fermentation is finished,cold crash to 3 degrees or less. Carefully syphon beer into bottling bucket,add dissolved priming sugar and gently mix. Bottle beer via bottling wand attached to bucket. Leave beer in a warm,room temp,dark place for a fortnight. Move somewhere cool to condition. Clear beer.
My harviestoun ptarmigan ag has been in the bottle around 3 days and is virtually clear.

Try....when fermentation is finished,cold crash to 3 degrees or less. Carefully syphon beer into bottling bucket,add dissolved priming sugar and gently mix. Bottle beer via bottling wand attached to bucket. Leave beer in a warm,room temp,dark place for a fortnight. Move somewhere cool to condition. Clear beer.
My harviestoun ptarmigan ag has been in the bottle around 3 days and is virtually clear.
cheers but the beer will go from the fv into a second fv to leave most of the crud behind in the primary fv and then cold crashed to 1c and then into cornies in my kegerator to be force carbed.so i like to clear as much as possible in the 2nd fv before kegging .

I've had great success just using the gelatin sheets from M&S. I do it all in primary, I chill to 0/-1 degrees and dissolve two sheets in water not long off the boil (80 degrees maybe?). I then let it cool to ambient temp and gently pour it in. Two days later (max) it's beautifully clear.

This is for 15l batches so you might want to add another sheet if you're doing 20-23l.

I'd like to hear peoples experience with gelatin powder though as I've never used it

Im pescatarian so cant use gelatine but can use isinglass. Anyone use that? I vaguely thinking of giving it a try.
However I'm having great success lately with Dutto-tine. Just leave it alone until it clears on it's own

Works well for me but i do crash to 0c first. Afraid i have not tried it without.

I've heard gelatine (I guess isinglass is fish gelatine) works better at 0C I dont really have the ability to cold crash at 0C although I could 'batch crash' (rack 5L at a time from the primary) in my domestic fridge .
Cask brewers use isinglass of course. I wonder what temps they use

There is an alternative to both. I think its called poly clar. Small bits of plastic which i know many wont get enthusiastic about. Somehow i don't like the idea of putting plastic in my beer even if its food safe. I was thinking of getting a filter as i have seen people use them without co2. You can also wash the insides and reuse them if you do it carefully. I presume that's how commercial beer is treated but i could be wrong.

Latest posts

Back