I've been a plonker, can I save it?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephenj

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've noticed my last batch was not particularly/at all carbonated, and whilst reading a yeast thread the reason came smacking me in my thick head. For some reason I just stuck the sugar in the bottling bucket without adding water to it and heating a little first before adding to bottom if bucket.

My question is: can/should I uncap, add carb tablets, and recap? There's 20 bottles of lush pale ale sitting miserable and flat at stake 😣

Hi!
Some members do prime by simply putting sugar in the bottling bucket. Perhaps one will comment.
Did you put enough sugar in the batch?
I've just re-bottled a milk stout that, because of illness and time schedules, was cold crashed for too long. I think most of the yeast had settled out. I poured the bottles into a sanitised FV, added a reconstituted dried yeast, stirred and re-bottled.
I am using PET bottles, and after a couple of days they are starting to firm up.
Just waiting for the bombs, now. :-?

Yeah, i used the calculator on brewersfriend for amount of sugar, but as I say though for some reason I just dumped it into the bucket and siphoned beer onto it. I presume it didn't dissolve hence flat but nice beer. In past i always add a little water to it in a pan amd heat enough to melt sugar then put that in the bucket.

I think what Bigcol is talking about is brewing sugar as it's finer. If you used table sugar without disolving it, it just sinks to the bottom.

Beer will carb itself up without any sugar at all, given enough time. So you could just leave it until it carbs up on it's own

Yeah just cane sugar used. If it is to self carb how long might it take? I know can't put firm figures on it but an approximate would be really useful as I'm an impatient bugger (like all homebrewers I suppose)

Just be careful because some of them will have had a heck of a dose of sugar!

Yeah just cane sugar used. If it is to self carb how long might it take? I know can't put firm figures on it but an approximate would be really useful as I'm an impatient bugger (like all homebrewers I suppose)

We have a member(cant remember who) who posted recently that he uses this method to carb his beer but was getting impatient with this method because he had to wait so long. It was definately several weeks, at a guess, because I cant remember exactly 6-10

Many moons ago I had a bottle that had been primed and hadn't carbed. So I unscrewed the lid and added a 1/4tsp of sugar, everything was fine until the sugar touched he beer, the bottle immediately foamed up, shot out the top of the bottle to the point where 2/3 of it was all over the worktop, floor etc.

Latest posts

Back