Infected brew in pressure barrel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davemc

Reaction score
I have lager sat in a pressure barrel it's been in the barrel for a couple of months. I could see something on top through the barrel and opened the cap today. As you can see it's got some mould on top. Now I took a sample of this before opening the top to see what it tasted like and although it's flat with no carbonation it actually tastes ok.

before finding the infection I was going to bottle the brew as I don't have means of adding pressure to the PB as I now mainly use corny kegs and its an S30 valve.

The question is, should I just poor it down the sink or is it worth bottling - taking beer off below the infection.

20171202_134850.jpg

Personally I would draw it off from under the infection and bottle it asap. It is only a minor infection at the moment, and chances are it needs oxygen to proliferate. If so then once bottled and the yeast has eaten all the oxygen it shouldn't progress any further.

Personally I would draw it off from under the infection and bottle it asap. It is only a minor infection at the moment, and chances are it needs oxygen to proliferate. If so then once bottled and the yeast has eaten all the oxygen it shouldn't progress any further.

Thanks, that was my thought and not much too lose only bottling time.

Latest posts

Back