Stuck Fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,

Sorry another stuck fermentation thread.

Did a grain brew a week ago but mashed a bit high at 70-72 (trying to get a full body beer but overdid it.)

SG was 1043 when I pitched.

The yeast head fell in after 2 days so I took a gravity reading = 1027. That's 2% abv.

But a week on its stuck at 1027.

I had used an old wherry yeast, cos I like that style. But I know wherry yeasts sometimes stick.

I know high mash temperature sometimes strip out the fermentable sugars, so that could be a factor too.

So. Today I have roused the yeast, increased the temperature setting from 19 to 21, and I've added a safale 05 yeast.

OK here's my question to you folks.....

I will wait 48hrs but if that doesn't work I am tempted to add 500g of spraymalt in case lack of fermentables is the problem. Is that wise, and if so, do I just sprinkle it in or melt in water then add? Thanks all.

I would have thought there is enough sugars in there to get things going again with the fresh yeast
Otherwise what about adding half a squeezy bottle of golden syrup (i.e about 350g) . GS is almost invert sugar, and yeasties should love it.
Trouble with spray malt is it's reluctant to completely dissolve in very little water.

Latest posts

Back