What are you drinking tonight?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will I be brewing a Barley Wine again - yes, perhaps, but not before I have thought very carefully about why TF I bothered with one. It has been a complete **** ache all the way to breakfast time.

Back in the day, little old ladies used to sit at the back of pubs sipping Barley Wine and vowing that they would NEVER drink beer!

I still have a few Barley Wines on the shelf from an abortive attempt back in March 2016 when I used up a load of stuff before leaving for a three month break. It's a disaster that still tastes like liquid dark chocolate.

Will I make another one? Maybe. I already have the requisite little old lady living with me! :whistle: :whistle:

This is the first tasting of a Hoegaarden clone I brewed back in October
I call it Marlonsgaarden. It developed a lovely looking pelicule just before bottling but that doesn't seem to have tainted it - ...so far, so good....!
It's not quite as 'raw-sharp lemony' as the real thing, but I like it. Definitely be doing it again :thumb:

1513449043927.jpg

My festival NZ Pilsner, it is nice but a lot more hoppy than I expected.

I have about 15 left from about 12 months ago, the hoppiness really calmed down after about 6 months and it's now a cracking crisp just slightly fruity Pilsner, really very very good.

One of my pales ales (vain attempt to make Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Clone) that i found in the back of the cupboard . I can't for the life of me remember how long its been in the bottle now and too lazy to look on the logs/blog. But must say it turned out alright, not like the Sierra bit still very guaffable.

I am drinking the first conditioned bottle of my Malt Miller Winter Witt.
I don't like blowing smoke up my own backside, but this beer is up at the quality of good craft beer.
It is as good as the wheat beers I have paid �£3 a half for in the craft beer bars in London.
It is MJ Belgium Wheat dry yeast and I can't believe the esters it has produced.

Had one of my Xmas Barley wines started at 1.085 on 16 Feb tonight.

Had to pour it into a 2L jug as it was so fizzy (bottled @ 1.012).

Was it a nice, drinkable beer - yes albeit a bit strong

Was it worth the effort - hell NO - it was made by doing a parti-gyle (PG) in the GF so took semi-forever then was boiled down to 10L on the stove and I ended up with 12 bottles in the posh bottles that have gushed with everything, plus a few samplers.

On the plus side, the other brew from the PG was a very simple Cascade single hop beer into which t I chucked one of the last Coopers kits from Tesco's failed toe-dip into the HB market. That was really good, a fabulous advert for partial mash brewing.

I do feel that there is sort of "law of diminishing returns" with brewing strong beers. 5% to 6% is fairly easy to brew, 7% needs a fair bit of sugar and beyond that you are looking at extra malt extract, or at the extremes, loads of faffing around - re-iterated mashes, PG brewing and all that stuff.

Will I be brewing a Barley Wine again - yes, perhaps, but not before I have thought very carefully about why TF I bothered with one. It has been a complete **** ache all the way to breakfast time.

Just chuck in some candi sugar and a can of gs to bump up the numbers. plus brew a bit shorter :grin: works for me!

had a yassim - really lovely they were meant for xmas next year I don't think they're going to last that long. I love MJ's saison yeast with dark beers.
an ale cid - the clearest brew i've ever done - light and refreshing. Then spoons for an evening meal (soggy popadums and stale naan :-? plus of course 2 bengalis.:grin:
finally back home a RB2 and a saisons to be cheerful, them I'm off the pop for 3 days so a nice way to finish off!

Tegernseer Hell. Classic German attention to detail and application of brewing science.

"Inspiration is the impact of a fact on a well-prepared mind" Louis Pasteur

My Beerwulf order came today. It’s a work night and I have stuff to do, but I’m going to have a Lindemans Kriek to unwind later.

Had 2 more today - Brand IPA and De Leckere 1/2 Wiezen.

The IPA was ok. I found the aroma lacking a little but the flavour was well balanced with just a hint of grapefruit. Didn’t taste like a 7% beer either.

The De Leckere is the first wit beer I’ve had other than Hoegaarden was a lot different to how I expected (in a good way). It was nowhere near as cloudy as I had expected and had lovely fruity Belgian esters. Would definitely drink again!

Wife's shop night out....5 pints of Bighand Pendragon red ale. A local brewery ....very nice!
Home now just popped a bipa...also very nice.
All in all....very nice.

Another test of my Christmas Spicy Ale.

Bit heavy on the cinnamon, but drinkable

Cheers:drink:

1513534367772.jpg

......and now a Chocolate & Vanilla Porter brewed last spring

Can definitely taste the chocolate, but nothing like Youngs double choc unfortunately....

Cheers :drink:

1513537948132.jpg

Having a few of my youngs pilsner with mosaic dry hop, far to over carbed but once the foam dies down not a bad drop.

A Punk IPA clone that tastes not a damn thing like Punk, but definitely drinkable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back