A little experiment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasea3632

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just got back from asda and thought i'd try a little variation on the vimto wine.
I got asda's own brand 50% juice pineapple and mexican lime squash (this is lovely as a mixer with lager by the way) so the recipe was as follows

1 Litre of asda 50% pineapple and mexican lime
500g of sugar
1 cup raisins (chopped)
1 tsp pectolase
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/3 tsp citric acid
1/2 cup of 2teabag tea for tannin
1 tsp youngs super wine yeast

Boil squash with 1 ltr of water for 20 mins to get rid of preservatives
add 500g of sugar and melt down completely
wash and chop raisins then add to syrup mix
pour into DJ and top up to 4.5 ltrs
use part of mixture to create starter with yeast, nutri, pectolase and citric acid
pour in starter when cooled to 20 degrees and wait
OG is 1090 so should work out around 11%abv mark

if anyone can think of any improvements or amendments feel free to let me know
will keep you all updated on progress

Well 4 days in now and its still fzzing away just pulled the bung and its still got the original kick of flavours so this could show some great promise for anyone that has tried this cordial with water before. I love it

I am going to try your recipeas it looks good, i have done blackcurrant high juice and cherry coridal before which have turned out to be favourites :) good look with yours hope it turns out as nice as it probably smells.

How did this work out in the end?

Bored at home I have tried it with a summer fruit hi-juice cordial. Lets see what happens!

dunno yet tasted ok at bottling but i'm gonna give it at least a month in the bottle first so stay tuned i'll post as soon as i open one

ok so i just opened a bottle even tho its only a month old and itsssssss
Drinkable and seems to have retained a lot of the flavour it has a sharpness to it and after a while the aftertaste reminds me of fruit pastilles.
i reckon this might be quite a bit nicer after a bit longer in the bottle

Going to try something like this! Will go and pick up a random cordial later, any suggestions given the outcome of your wine? Also in the recipe it says 1/2 cup of 2 teabag tea; is that 2 teabags in half a cup of water, or 2 teabags in a whole cup of water then only use half? I don't want to use too much tannin :D

Yeah I don't like tea so where it says cup of strong tea I just flash 2 bags in half a cupso using have to have the smell fir too long

yeah it was meant to come out as;
I dont like the smell of tea so instead of steeping 1 tea bag for ages i just use 2 in half a cup for a short while, oh the joys of modern technology eh or was it just cos i was still half asleep

just opened another bottle and i think it tastes lovely the lime flavour has mellowed and more pineapple coming thru now. i WILL be brewing this again

Back