Sprout Yuletide Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earthwormgaz

Regular.
Reaction score
Ay up,

I thought of this too late in my brewday, but when I was doing the aroma hops/spices, I saw a the sprouts I'd bought on the side and lobbed one in, I mean, what's more Christmas than sprouts?

So, do you think it'd work to put loads of them in with the bittering hops? :hmm:

images
+ :drink:

Most people wish to avoid Dimethyl Sulfide in beer. :sick: :sick:

I think sprouts and beer would be :sick: :sick:

A :nono: :nono: from me.

Hmm, I might be about to learn that you can't just lob any old thing in beer and see what tastes come out!

Good job I only put one in there for a few minutes of the boil really! Will I get away with that graysalchemy? :shock: :oops:

Probably, but there will obviously be some DMS depending if it got boiled off or not. Does it smell of cabbage whilst it is fermenting?

DMS is usually produced if you cover up your boiler whilst boiling especially in the early stages so the fact that dms does boil off I think you will be ok.

But don't try any more.

Hmm, I only finished doing it yesterday, and pitched the yeast this morning before leaving for work once it'd cooled.

I note from the glossary that this "DMS" can result from not boiling the wort properly. I actually only boiled half of mine because my boiler was only big enough for half of it. I also boiled with the lid on, then took it off for the aroma hops with the heat turned off.

:nono: :nono:

Never cover whilst you boil and always boil all your wort otherwise you wont fully get all the proteins out.

I would chuck in some parsnips and peas and have it with the turkey. :lol: :lol:

Seriously there is little you can do no. Just let it ferment out and see what it tastes like :cheers: :cheers:

Keeping my eyes peeled for a 5 gallon stock pot for the hob that won't break the bank. Another lesson learned here about the lid anyway!

The idea there was it'd heat up quicker and need less gas to keep boiling with the lid on.

Balls, fingers crossed I haven't wrecked my Yule brew, the hydrometer was saying 1.060 ish as well I think! :(

:rofl:
Haha, sprouts in beer - whatever next?
You are making beer, not stew!

BUT, it was worth me reading this thread because I always boil with the lid on to help it boil quicker and to reduce liquid loss!
Seems I have been doing it wrong... :oops:

graysalchemy said:
:nono: :nono:

Never cover whilst you boil and always boil all your wort otherwise you wont fully get all the proteins out.

graysalchemy, is this getting the proteins out business related to the DMS issue?

Okay, so basically, boil long and hard for clarity of beer and to stop it smelling of sprouts. Also on the last point, surprisingly adding actual sprouts is also a bad idea :lol:

Lessons learned there, thanks me owd duck.

So, my idea of adding a turkey during the boil for an Xmas ale is a bit of a non-starter I take it?

Damn.

Well , we all make a cock of a brew now and then...... :whistle:

Sprouts ? In beer ? Many words and phrases leap to mind , centred mostly around "rust , carving and knife" and "applied to own throat" , you know the sort of thing . The only "cold break" would be my own neck , as I would hang myself before letting satans own nightmare bad acid trip vegetable near beer . Even lager . THATS how strongly I feel .

So , on the whole ,I'd rather not , myself , if its all the same to you , old chap :hmm:

I did read about "meat stout" the other day, where brewers in Lancashire would toss a side of beef into the fermenting stout.

Cock ale sounds equally different! Is my sprout going in there really that weird after all :lol:

I looked up that DMS stuff on Wikipedia, and there's a list in there of weird things NOT to put in your ale!

Dimethyl sulfide (DMS) or methylthiomethane is an organosulfur compound with the formula (CH3)2S. Dimethyl sulfide is a water-insoluble flammable liquid that boils at 37 °C (99 °F) and has a characteristic disagreeable odor. It is a component of the smell produced from cooking of certain vegetables, notably maize, cabbage, beetroot and seafoods. It is also an indication of bacterial infection in malt production and brewing. It is a breakdown product of dimethylsulfoniopropionate (DMSP), and is also produced by the bacterial metabolism of methanethiol.

So beetroot ruby ale is off the menu too lads, and monkfish pale ale is right out :lol:

Fruit is perfectly acceptable in beer especially dark beers (because of pectin hazes). I do an elderberry stout which tastes just like port and stout :grin: :grin:.

I usually use 1lb of fruit per gallon of beer added in the last 10 minutes of the boil.

So next year pick some elderberries or blackberries or perhaps some damsons :thumb: :thumb:

I love the sound of that! My Mrs loves port, but isn't really into ale unless it's fruity. She liked one we got at Kedleston Hall at the weekend, Centurion I think it was called, and it had a really strong peach twang to it at first, and smelled of peaches too - http://www.derventiobrewery.co.uk/Index.html

But yeah, a sort of port/stout sounds fantastic. That's definitely one for next year.

It is basically an ebulum which is a celtic brew of sorts, bar the fact that it has hops in it which wouldn't have been around back in the day. Best made strong 8% + and served in little bottles on the winter solstice as elderberries are traditional at that time of year.

That's braggot and now this that turn out to be Celtic. As a proud Anglo-Saxon I feel the need to dredge up some old English recipes now off Google to see what weird brews we have to offer from the past :grin:
smiley_england.gif

They'd better not involve sprouts :rofl:

Latest posts

Back