Rich and Dave's Old Speckled Hen Challenge

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great post guys, well done :clap: I'm surprised more brewers don't do this sort of thing, or corny swaps, ie, I'll do 2 of this, you do 2 of that and we'll swap a keg each.. etc :hmm:
Love the labels, the Thai head one brings back fond memories (if it's that one, even if it's not :lol: ) :cool:

Here's the pics as promised. My version is on the left, the real thing is in the middle and Dave's is on the right.

DSC_0058.jpg

Great stuff! :thumb: :cheers:

I'm planning on doing this recipe in a couple of weeks, hopefully for xmas, providing I can keep my grubby paws out of the stock, :whistle:

Awesome post !! I also brew with the no chill method - although I sometimes put two full fv's in half a bath of cold water with some ice packs to speed up the process but normally it's left overnight to cool ! ( south west water and a water meter = already hefty water bill :x )

Think I'll brew this recipe for my next brew - cheers :D

You won't regret it mate and as for consistency I brewed this again yesterday and got 20L at 1.064 exactly my pre-dilution figures from the last brew. BIAB inconsistent my bottom!

Looking good! I was thinking of doing a clone of this but i have a different recipe from a book i bought, it uses less crystal malt, cane sugar instead of syrup and has challenger and ekg hops. It also recomends wyeast 1084 or 1028 liquid yeast but im not spending 8 quid on yeast

Maybe it's a trick of the light :wha: but Rich's brew looks more like the right colour
I love this beer so when i make the step over to ag in the near future it's going to be my first brew :cheers:

:D

Brewing 46litres of this today, grain bill the same almost but i`m aiming for something around 4% as my tun won`t fit enough grain for 46litres and I want more of a session ale :cool:

Hops are challanger and EKG - yeast is wlp002 - looking forward to it already :thumb:

They are perfectLy ok but we used dark crystal which is more 240ish. We used SO4 in the challenge but I just recently used Nottingham and the tasters whilst bottling last week suggested it was going to be excellent.

Hello chaps. Inspired by your reports, I've brewed this and got it in the FV.

From what I can interpret, you both had yours in the primary FV for a little over two weeks, and went straight to bottle from there. Is that about right?

Cheers! :cheers:

I brewed this yesterday but my OG was only 1.052, but that was because my mash temp dropped like a stone - 63c after an hour. Ended up adding a couple of litres of boiling water and got it up to 65 for the final hour.

Doing the recipe from the Graham Wheller's book today. Got extra insulation for that.

Doing a blind side by side taste test at xmas. Purchased v Rich/Dave's v Wheeler :cheers:

Latest posts

Back