Citra cascade Combo..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

46.philh

Regular.
Reaction score
Citra cascade Combo.

Have some Citra hops to try out for the first time and move away from recipe books!

Fermentable Colour lb: oz Grams Ratio
Pale Malt 5 EBC 4 lbs. 11.9 oz 2150 grams 46%
Lager Malt 2.5 EBC 4 lbs. 11.9 oz 2150 grams 46%
Torrefied Wheat 4 EBC 0 lbs. 8.2 oz 230 grams 5%
Crystal Malt 130 EBC 0 lbs. 4.9 oz 135 grams 3%

Cascade Whole 90 mins 26 grams 35.8%
Citra Whole 90 mins 10 grams 34.1%
Cascade Whole 15 mins 10 grams 6.4%
Citra Whole 15 mins 15 grams 23.7%
Cascade Whole 0 mins 10 grams 0%
Citra Whole 0 mins 20 grams 0%

Final Volume: 23 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.045
Final Gravity: 1.011
Alcohol Content: 4.4% ABV
Total Liquor: 33 Litres
Mash Liquor: 11.7 Litres
Mash Efficiency: 75 %
Bitterness: 46 EBU
Colour: 11 EBC

US-O5

Please tell me what you think...

Looks good to me :thumb: I'd mash at 64-65C for this and maybe use 2.7 or 2.8L/kg of liquor for the mash which will give less body and bring the hops to the fore.

Right up my street!
Love the look of this!!

My two-penneth worth....
I'd be careful with Citra. It's got a huge, bitter grapefruit rind flavour that just overpowers everything. Scale it back and add more cascade to balance it.

I'd boil for 60 mins and not 90 with this beer.

I'd also add lots more cascade at the end of the boil and less citra. Maybe a 3:1 ratio with 20g of hops dropped at 15 mins , 5 mins and 0 mins. So 15g of cascade and 5g of citra each time.

You'll get plenty of the citra coming through still!

I'd also dry hop after 7 days with the same ratio of 15g cascade and 5g citra.

It all comes down to how much you like that grapefruit Citra taste.

I did an all Citra brew with a lot more Citra than yours

5.5 kg Maris Otter Malt
0.5 kg Wheat Malt
0.2 kg Carapils (Dextrine)
0.15 kg Crystal 120

30g Citra (15% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
20g Citra (15% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
30g Citra (15% Alpha) @ end of boil, steep for 20 mins
20g Citra (15% Alpha) dry hop

I love this beer, but it's not subtle. If you could give a high Citra commercial beer a go you'd know straight away whether you like or not...It was Oakham's Scarlet Macaw as a guest beer in my local that turned me on to Citra.

I'd say that you're not going to be able to taste your Cascade when mixed with Citra, which is a pity because it's a lovely hop. I'd be inclined to go single hop on this and increase the amount to compensate. Or maybe if you go for a mainly cascade brew use a higher AA american hop (like magnum or Perle) at the start of the boil and then Cascade later and for dry hop.

Dave1970 said:
It all comes down to how much you like that grapefruit Citra taste.

I did an all Citra brew with a lot more Citra than yours

5.5 kg Maris Otter Malt
0.5 kg Wheat Malt
0.2 kg Carapils (Dextrine)
0.15 kg Crystal 120

30g Citra (15% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
20g Citra (15% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
30g Citra (15% Alpha) @ end of boil, steep for 20 mins
20g Citra (15% Alpha) dry hop

I love this beer, but it's not subtle. If you could give a high Citra commercial beer a go you'd know straight away whether you like or not...It was Oakham's Scarlet Macaw as a guest beer in my local that turned me on to Citra.

I'd say that you're not going to be able to taste your Cascade when mixed with Citra, which is a pity because it's a lovely hop. I'd be inclined to go single hop on this and increase the amount to compensate. Or maybe if you go for a mainly cascade brew use a higher AA american hop (like magnum or Perle) at the start of the boil and then Cascade later and for dry hop.

Oakham scarlet macaw is nelson or galaxy but they do and all citra beer.... They call it .... Citra.

Thanks folks. :thumb:

Glad you told me about dropping the mash temp as would not have thought of that.

The Citra hops were given to me from someone at work who only does kits got them sent by mistake :D

I am a real fan of cascade as a single hop beer and not that much of fan of strong grapefruit tasting hop beers but as the hops were free I thought I would give it a go.

I am thinking I might do a double brew day of 46 ltrs with a single mash but double boil and put Saaz hops in the second batch/ boil but not had chance to read up about a recipe for the second brew yet.

Have only have 70g of cascade in the freezer but lots of other stuff. Maybe a Bobek (Styrian Golding) / Saaz mix for the second batch ?

Never used Saaz but I have done a single hopped cacade number...

For 30 litres as far as hops were concerned:-
90 min boil

30gms at start of boil
15 grms at 30mins
40 gms for last 15 mins

came out lovely

I tried it again but dry hopped it with 20 gms of cascade and totally ruined it. Now not a big fan of dry hopping

Latest posts

Back