P.D's Brewery.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking our all grain friends, good luck to them and I'm all for doing whatever floats your boat.............BUT :P

Unless its for a part or full time business, why spend five or six hours a brew day making something that the professionals have already made for us...
A big expense in money and in time is spent on producing a " wort " for turning into beer by a fermentation process which is common to both kit and all grain methods.
Its like someone going out for a drive and having to make their own petrol for each journey first.
or a cook making their own puff pastry instead of buying a pack ready made.
Home beer brewing is well served by reputable companies who have produced for us a product ready to use and turn into beer. In 99% of cases its good stuff. It can be altered by additions of other ingredients dry hopped etc to our own taste, nearly ever variety of beer/ale stout porter what have you is catered for.
and all it takes is a can opener....

:party: :party: :party: :party: :D

just thought I'd make a few bullets and throw them into the fire... :grin:

Notice I've posted here in my thread and not in the " open " forum..... I'm not that stupid..... :twisted:

Well that went better than expected..... :D

Racked off the Red Ruby and Old Conkerwood Ale today into a 2nd fermenting vessel, although I only started them on the 12th, both brews went off like a rocket and seemed to be almost finished 48 hours later. However they will stand in the vessel till around the 22nd that will give them their 10 days to clean up their act. Both have thrown a lot of sediment, the Conkerwood looking a lot cleaner. The Red ruby still has a load to drop.
Lovely smell from the OCA,unusual and quite pleasant, the Ruby has the pronounced Hop smell due to the sachet of hop oils put in at the start ( included with kit )
I've bottled a gallon of the Apple and Cranberry Cider as well as I wanted a demi-jon as tonight I'm making up another tea bag wine, haven't yet decided on flavour. I got 8 and a half bottles.... :shock: Sweetened with 25gms of Splenda in the demijon and 3/4 of a tsp of priming sugar per bottle
The odd half ? well I drank it ! Its strong. ( worked out around 8.2 % ) and a little over sweet, but I just remembered the half bottle also got 3/4 tsp of priming sugar ! !
The others should mellow and round off before they will be touched in a few months time. Still got one demi jon of it left.
My 5 gallon of Cider is still sitting in its closed fermenting vessel since 18 July a quick peep and it seems ok ( not had a taste ! ) that came out at around 7.7% abv and when put into the bin it was very very dry.

Hmmm getting a taste for this sweet still Cider..... :thumb:

Heard good things about the st peters. was gonna make it my first 2 can kit and try dry hopping.
Want to try the old conketwood. If only for the name alone.

Keep those kits going. I made the mistake of drinking my stash and not brewing. Bad mistake when you stash disappears.
:cheers:

Let us know how the old conkerwood goes!!!

There ain't nothing wrong with kit brewing if you want to make some good beers, cheaply and without a lot of fuss.
Sty Peters Red Ruby Ale is IMHO one of the better ones. Its a 2 can kit and comes with a little sachet of Hop oil to add at the start I was dubious at first smelling the oil but it is concentrated and part of the character of the ale so I added it.
The only thing with this ale on both occasions I have made it, its what I call a dirty brew. It throws a big big deposit. It does need racking off into a 2nd fermenting vessel. Whatever is carried through to the bottle ( I only bottle ) soon drops out leaving a beautiful clear reddy amber coloured ale. The deposit sticks to the bottom, and is not easily disturbed. Without any other clearing agents, it sparkles in the glass.
One of the best brews I have made. Both brews have come out around 4.2 % but do taste stronger, they make my nose tingle.
I would be very happy if visitors and guests who taste my brews, only remember I'm the one that makes Red Ruby Ale. Its a fine accolade.

Yes. Heard it getting rave reviews.

Haven't the time, space or money to go AG. However Im having my fun with the kits. Got 3 of my mates at it now too!!!

They enjoyed mine so much :cheers:

Life got in the way yesterday !

So today I started off my second tea bag wine. Raspberry and Peach tea bags (20) Apple and Raspberry juice ( 2 litres), 2 pounds of sugar and a Cider yeast cos that's all I'd got handy.
My first tea bagger the Blackberry and Nettle ( started 6/8/12) is still bubbling away merrily and has caused no problems so far and is looking nice, its slowed down now but will still be a couple of weeks before I need to do anything with it.
They are quite addictive ( although demi jon hungry ) these tea bag wines I've got the ingredients for my next one. Spiced Berry which I'll use with red grape juice again.
I've used Cider yeasts on both my two brews so far, what yeasts do others use ? Wine ?
Think I'll pop through to the lhbs and get a few wine cider and ale yeasts in for stock.... I will not buy another beer kit... I will not buy another beer kit.
Yet.

Sample time ! yee haaa

Coopers Stout started on the 24 July and bottled 30th July ( a bit quick ! ) approx 4.2% abv

This was my clear pop bottle sample I made, bottle was rock hard and was tasted straight off the shelves no fridge time.
Large amount of sediment clearly visible on bottom of the bottle, only to be expected as it was bottled rather too soon ( can't remember why now )
On pouring it gave a good dark stout head wuite brown in colour, and plenty of fizz. The debris was solid in the bottle and the drink was easily poured leaving only a small amount of stout behind.
Plenty of aroma coming off in the with the bubbles very sweet stout like, Mackeson perhaps ? The head didn't last and had almost gone whilst I was sniffing and looking.
Taste. I hate describing taste as I find it hard to put into words. however I'll go along with my first impressions Mackeson like but not as sweet and more of a lasting bitterness as an after taste, Liquorice flavour. very pleasant.
Enjoyed it right to the end of the glass. After taste was def more bitter than a Mackeson and the liquorice was quite pronounced, not unpleasant at all.

Verdict and recommendations
A good tasting Stout, not as bitter as a Guinness not as sweet as a Mackeson one that I could easily drink a couple of straight off without it lying heavy on my stomach. Its obviously still young this was my first tasting of the brew. It definitely needed more time in FV to drop its deposits and clean itself up, but cleared well in the bottle and no lasting funny tastes.
Nice one Mr Cooper.... certainly a different taste to the Coopers Dark Ale, but both are enjoyable drinks.

Had a man round today doing some door repairs ( insurance claim ) so while he was busy I labelled a few of my bottles. Only doing a few of each batch to identify them more easily when there up on the shelves.
It was thirsty work :thumb: so I took the opportunity to do a quality control taste on one batch :lol: :lol:
Its a Coopers English Heritage Bitter I started 24-07-2012 in 500ml pet bottles as is my norm.
Its only been in the bottle for a couple of weeks so was not expecting too much from it as yet. However it had a small head and was carbonated to a degree, both ran out before the bottle was finished.
The clarity of the brew was exceptional and not a trace of sediment in the bottle, it was a lovely deep amber colour with just a hint of hoppiness and plenty of bittering taste without being too powerful or harsh on the tongue or throat. I found it a very pleasant drink, and I hope the carbonation improves slightly with age which I think it will. It came out at about 4.2% abv but seems a little stronger somehow, certainly would be able to tell you had drunk a bottle or two.
Very pleased with it.
The door man had a coffee :twisted:

well he would have got a beer but I asked him to do me another little job while he had his tools out !
I got the " more than me jobs worth mate " so he got a coffee and was lucky at that.

Bottling day for the Muntons Old Conkerwood Ale today. I hesitate to say it, but the %abv has according to my calculations come out around 6.6 %.
Now I don't know if this is correct as I dropped my glass hydrometer just before taking the FG and had to go buy another one. So the SG and FG were taken with different hydrometers and although both seemed to be reading 1.000 with water I have a feeling it has affected the readings...However we shall see when its time to taste. If correct its a bit of a strong brew for me !
I managed 40 x 500ml bottles from this brew and because its been racked into a second FV the brew was very clean, leaving heavy deposits in both FV's
Smells very heavy if you know what I mean certainly not a lightweight. Its classed as a black ale ( my first ) as opposed to a stout, so I don't really know what to expect but it looks a promising brew. Primed with my usual half tsp of Tate and Lyle.
All were transferred to the airing cupboard where they will remain for 12-14 days hopefully, before returning to the garage.

The Red Ruby Ale is to be bottled tomorrow and that will mean that brewing is on hold for a few days. I'm going to take the opportunity of thoroughly cleaning and disinfecting all my equipment. The bench top is getting a bit of refurbishment and a good scrub down. Lots of bleach is going to be used !
I just missed out on 5 demi jon's for free off our local freecycle site...darn ! they would have been handy for a few tea bag wines for the New Year.
I'm not very lucky on freecycle or e bay, I never seem to catch a bargain.
Fingers crossed though that one of our villiage church groups may be shutting down soon........ :P ( they have a 50 litre working tea urn/boiler they may be disposing of.....) :whistle: :whistle: Hallelujah brothers...

Had an enjoyable tea this evening.... :D

A plough-man's lunch a la me actually it was just raw onion, Mature Cheddar and Red Leicester Cheese with fresh crusty bread.... I don't do pickles..
washed down with a pint of my Red Ruby Ale, ( bottled 08072012 - 4.2% abv )

was perfict............... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

my only gripe was I took the beer straight from off the beer shelf and didn't cool it down first ( lack of planning what was for tea ! )
As a result the RRA was a bit lively ! Almost too much head and lots and lots of bubbles !!
After the initial explosion it settled down in the glass and I was able to enjoy.
What a drink its turned into, I recommend anyone to try it, please you will not be disappointed. Its had, what 6 weeks in the bottle and if you remember on my brew report it was nicknamed " Muddy Waters" well its now as clear as the proverbial bell. A deep golden amber colour. The taste has mellowed and has rounded itself off, it's smooth and silky in the mouth.

Two tips for potential brewers of this ale..... rack it off into a second fv and give it a couple of months in the bottle. Then just choose your preferred cheeses....
( drink it warm and with the onion you will not suffer indigestion due to trapped wind ! )

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking our all grain friends, good luck to them and I'm all for doing whatever floats your boat.............BUT :P
Unless its for a part or full time business, why spend five or six hours a brew day making something that the professionals have already made for us...
:lol: ..now I'm not trying to knock kit brewers but...freeze dried coffee v beans, reconned fruit juice v fresh fruit juice...there is a point to mashing your own grain, and for a lot it's a hobby so time is negated
just thought I'd make a few bullets and throw them into the fire... :grin:Notice I've posted here in my thread and not in the " open " forum..... I'm not that stupid.....
No one should be afraid to post their opinion, we all have our preferences, there is no right or wrong (unless it's really wrong :lol: ) What I would say is try both and compare. There is a difference between kits and all grain, that doesn't make one better than the other, they're just different, and what you prefer for whatever reason is your choice ;) Theory is great but trying is believing :thumb:

The post was made with good intent, a little humour so to speak.
I am completely for folks doing what they wish and completely understand " the hobby " aspect ( I've had more of those in my lifetime than hot dinners )

Now I've not yet done any AG brewing so I cannot comment on if the quality of the final brew is better than some of the kits I've made, so if any AG brewer would like to convince me of the superiority of their beers, please pm me and I will gladly pass on my address, so a couple of samples could be sent ..... :twisted: :twisted: :whistle: :whistle:

Can't help but think it might lose some of it's flavour being poured through the letterbox...

:D

Latest posts

Back