S-05 for porter?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gurtpint

Landlord.
Reaction score
Sweet summer holiday! Regrettably haven't had much time to hang out here, let alone brew as of late but my holidays just started and I should get my hands malty soon enough... My plan is to make an American Brown Ale and a porter back to back, using the yeast cake from the former for the latter. I was thinking of using the trusty S-05 for the brown. Anyone here used the same for porters with good results? I have a a couple of sachets of Nottingham in the fridge as well and I guess it would be well suited for the porter. Any comments on using Notty for Yank browns? Ta!

Cheers Rich. That might be an idea... Thwaites porter is not available in my neck of woods, though. I can get hold of Fullers India Ale (which I reckon is the same as the one sold as Bengal Lancer in the UK) that's made with WLP002 AFAIK, but that might leave a bit too much residual sweetness for my purposes. Youngs Bitter and London Ale are available to - anyone in the know as to what yeast they use?

Use the s-05 for the porter!!! I made an accidentally amazing porter style with it a good while ago. I was aiming for an american hoppy red ale but overdid the dark crystal malt.....I ignored this and thought I would still do a 60 min (dogfish head) IPA style hopping of it. 1.5g (ish) of cascade at every minute of the boil for 60 minutes.

I was worried how it would turn out, but it was a beast. Lots of rich chocolatey notes but not too rich or sweet then a nice crisp / bitter finish.

Latest posts

Back