Rookie Mistake!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonester

Reaction score
Daaaaaaamn!
I am so annoyed at myself at the moment. Just made up the St Peters IPA double can beer kit. I mis-read the instructions. So you start with 3.5 lts of boiling water and where it said top up to 19 litres I stupidly topped up with 19 litres. Such a dumb error. So my brew is 22.5 litres when it should only be 19.

My questions to you are:

How much is this going to ruin the final result? Is there anything I can do to rectify? Is it worth carrying on with this batch or cut my loses and start a new brew.

Your thoughts would, as ever, be much appreciated.

Best.

Tony H.

Hey never mind its not THAT big a mistake, your brew will be lower in ABV and lacking in a bit of body due to the higher dilution. It should still be a decent brew though so don't fret too much, you could try and rectify by adding some light malt extract (maybe 500g) dissolved in boiling water to the FV this will increase the fermentables and body of your beer.

Whatever you do DO NOT throw your batch away! The gods of beer will smite you and your family and you could expect some lighting bolts right up your jacksy!!! :lol:

definately dont throw it away, its a great kit, you could add a little dme but itll be a nice brew either way

Thanks peeps. Ok I'm going for it, I don't like the sound of lightning bolts up my jacksie! and I don't wanna anger the mighty Gods of beer!

Just have to do another one next time. Such a stupid mistake. just goes to show. Don't be too casual!

Hopping man I was. (you see what I did there?).

Happy Saturday!

Sounds like you just brewed a great session beer!!
If you have some big pans the you could boil some of it to get rid of the water and bring it back but I really wouldn't worry too much. I don't have the Dilution calculator on my iPad but my guess is you have lost about 0.5-1% of the Alcohol percentage.

But you've got more beer!! :thumb:

Latest posts

Back