First HB pint

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KarooPaul

Reaction score
Well, slurpped my first pint of home brew over the weekend - Great Eastern. Lovely head, not that clear in colour and darker/redder than the photo on the box. Quite some body, with lots of malt; not too watery. Pretty tasty but almost too bitter to be enjoyable. Is this normal for this kit? What have I done/not done to make it that way? And, anything I can do to counter it? It's all now in plastic litre bottles and I used golden granulated household sugar to prime. First FV for 2 weeks, then bottled from a primed second container.

Thanks!
Paul

The bitterness should mellow out as the beer ages, if you can keep away from it for long enough. :)

Ok, that's great news as the stuff was pretty good apart from the bitterness. I'll just have to buy some beer in then to fill the gap! (I've got a double batch of Framboos ready to bottle, so am building a pipeline of sorts :) )

many thanks,
Paul

From what I have found, as the beer matures the hops moderate and the body slims down.

A really green pint will be slimy and a whole mess of confused hops.

Try not to drink it all green like I did with my most recent one... drank about 30 pints green and only left me with a few pints of nice beer. :facepalm:

I did a Great Eastern. It doesn't come out anywhere near the colour on the box, nothing wrong there.
2 weeks conditioning mine had cleared but was quite bitter, this had smoothed out by the third. Not sure after that as it was all gone :oops:

Very interesting, thanks everyone. I'll sample again in a couple of weeks. Just bottled the framboos and drank most of an incomplete litre bottle. Really great and it's (only) had 3 weeks in the main FV. I actually wondered if it stopped fermenting too early but only thought this after adding in the priming sugar, so messed up taking a useful measurement. Still, if it develops even a little in complexity, I'll be delighted even if low in alcohol.

Back