Wilko's Hoppy Copper Bitter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys. Leedsbrewer, I was watching someone else's brewing video the other day and they used a turkey baster for that, nearly face palmed because I hadn't thought to do that. I'll get one for the next brew. It is tricky not to get your fingers in it when dipping the trial jar. I was very precariously holding it by the base just there. I think I got away with it though, it smelled really good going into the keg. I'm releasing a homebrew video every week so I'll do a review soon, probably week after next.

Another way you can take a sample without touching the beer is to hold the trial jar between your finger and your thumb on the rim, drop the bottom in first, submerge it so the beaker is half way in the brew, 2 problems that can occur doing it this way is if you have big fingers and there is a risk if your grip isn't tight enough you can drop the whole thing in.

I hope your's turns out better than mine. The entire lot will be going down the drain when I get home from work. I tried it last night and it was just horrid. Smell was bad, taste was off, simply an awful awful pint. I had to spit out the sip I had it was that bad.

I've learnt a lot from it though. Hopefully I won't make the same mistakes in the future.

Good luck with your's. Hope it turns out right.

Final update, after being kegged for a week or so, took a sample in my minature pint glass, Overall, it is beer. And a drinkable one, It is still pale but has cleared well, Good strong hoppy smell and a nice strong bitterness, it also has a good fizz and head retention, worth the money I spent.

For a 10 pound kit i think it is brilliant. I did mine with a bag of dextrose and about 300g of medium SprayMalt i had leftover. I keep meaning to get another 2 or 3 kits to experiment with.
Even the misses polished off half of the keg and she dont usually go near my brews, even the Wherry.

So far i would say its the best of the Wilkos kits.

I anticipation of the lads coming round for the Rugby tomorrow i thought i had better try mine thats been sitting in the keg for over a month.

BB8E2F02-DF0D-4F46-A406-9338DB601A06-2355-00000466C54CFEE0_zpsdb13c37f.jpg

:eek:

Taste is fine, if a little 'light' but looks like a swamp. Will have to have a few more and hope that i get to the clear stuff by tomorrow !

I don't know what you did there as mine is crystal clear after 10 days in the keg, tastes lovely for what I paid.

I don't know how you managed that, looks like cloudy apples juice. Everyone else has said this a very clean brew, mine was remarkably clear right even when I siphoned it into my keg, before secondary.

Mine has been in the pressure barrel a month now I think, its very clear and smooth, not a great amount of body or taste but a good session beer

My one has been conditioning for about 5 weeks now, maybe 6. Very clear and smooth, lovely head on it. A lot of sediment has settled at the bottom so I may put it in for a secondary ferment next time.

I am pleased to read a lot of good comments on this as I have just brewed this kit after a long holiday from brewing due to work/time issues, I picked up this kit online and got the free brewing sugar and also an extra discount so only paid 8 quid for this brew, so even if it is a tad light, at 20 p a pint who cares.
Now begins the hardest part ....
The wait :cheers:

been looking at the wilko kits as was not sure what to try as my first. might give this a go. but i will only brewing 5L at a time as dont have a FV just yet or the space to brew and store 20L

Brewed this as my third brew after doing the two lager cans that came with the Youngs starter kit. Left in the FV for about 7 days and has been in the bottle just over a month. Used 500g of light DME and brewers sugar. For first couple of weeks it had a real home brew twang at each monthly check. I always have a couple of clear bottles to check clearing and it was very clear very quick. By week four in the bottle, it as lost twang and is quite flavourless. Seems to be getting better each week but not exactly an exciting beer...very much like Stones canned bitter to be frank.

Hmm, I just bought this off the cuff today, I've got a stock of bottles together so its going in them. I'm going to do it with a bag of brewing sugar and 500g of left over Muntons enhancer. Again at 45-50p a pint I'm not complaining, hopefully shouldn't take too long to do so it should be ready when my wherry's are peaking, which incidentally is about just in time for my 40th :cheers:

Well that's it 2 weeks fermenting done so syphoned it off into my king keg with 20 tsp sugar to condition for a couple of weeks but first taste suggest it won't be too bad for the price has anyone tried the Mexican cerveza kit yet if so what you think of it
Slainth

Started this kit Saturday but was a bit nervous so beefed it up a bit with 250g Vienna and 250g Crystal60 malt, 1kg Youngs spraymalt, and 50g EKG at 15mins.

Fingers crossed, after 12hrs it had a bad-ass Krausen!

Just put one on. Used a pack of brewing sugar and added 500g of Muntons enhancer I had left over. OG 1044 @ 22C. Going to try the 2x2x2x2 method. 2wks fermenting, 2wks secondary, 2wks in the warm, 2wks conditioning....

Well I am still drinking mine and now it's a very good pint. Clear nice rounded taste. Would defbdo again but leave a couple of months in the keg at least to age a bit before starting to drink it. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back