Dry malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rayjustray

Reaction score
Hi. I'm attempting my first ipa and the instructions suggest 500g of dry malt. Is this necessary or can dextrose be used in its place?

Using sugar rather than malt will produce a thinner beer. If the instructions say to use malt then I wouldn't recommend using sugar.

Rayjustray said:
Coopers ipa. I went to get the John Bull but the shop had sold out this week

The Coopers is better anyway mate :thumb: But you definitely need the malt with it
:cheers:

Thanks for that. Didn't want to spoil my first attempt at something other than lager

Looks like tonights night of brewing is shelved

If you're going to be doing a fair amount of home brewing then what I did is stock on up DME in light, medium and dark, as well as a load of sugars of different types, even dark treacle, so I won't get caught out. I might end up with some strange combinations, though!

Sounds like a good plan. I think the brewing shelf is about to become a brewing cupboard :D

More noob questions. I've seen people say they've used holland and Barrett malt extract in place of LME. Is this recommended? If so it will save me a trip to the brew store

You can certainly use it in brewing. The results will be different, that's for sure, although I wouldn't necessarily say worse. The point is that there are such a huge range of different beer styles etc. it's difficult to say that something's "wrong" as such. It's all down to personal taste.

I usually use food grade LME but only a little of it in conjunction with brewing sugar and DME.

Back