keg stopped flowing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plumber79

Reaction score
Hi all,
pulled a couple of pints from my king keg about an hour ago no problems, just been back to pull another one and at the half pint mark it stopped flowing.so I tried screwing a co2 bulb on to the valve and all the co2 seem to just shoot out into the room rather than the keg? Any ideas why this happened?
:cheers:
Paul

It actually blew back up through the bulb holder rather than out the cap seal

Perhaps you didnt tighten it on enough. Or the valve is loose - try the former but after you can tighten the valve on by putting a socket on the inside of it.

You probably didn't screw the bulb holder down fully, it's happened to me before :oops:
It's worth checking the rubber on the gas relief valve is correctly seated too

This is my first brew so never done this before. Is it normal to get a blast back up through the bulb holder because I've tried it twice now. The first time I did gently the second time I tried to do it quickly. Both times as soon as the seal on the bulb was broken I got that blast! Really annoying me because now its glugging and got a bit of sediment coming out!

No it's not normal :wha: I tend to screw it on and then just as it's about to pierce I do the last turn or so very quickly.
It's definitely worth checking the rubbers on the valve are in place

If you mean the rubber that covers the two holes of the valve then yes they are in place.i'm starting to wonder if its the wrong valve?

Not a clue how to upload pics but it is the correct valve just googled s30 valve and from what I saw they have no pin which this valve has.Feel I'm doing something wrong but don't want to waste all my bulbs trying to get it to work,it's driving me mad!my beer is lovely and carbonated with a great head so I imagine the keg is airtight and its me that's the problem :oops:

Plumber79 said:
Really annoying me because now its glugging and got a bit of sediment coming out!
Don't wish to add insult to injury but glugging isn't great news. It means oxygen which is bad for your beer. You might consider taking the cap off, sorting out your issue with the valve and re-priming the barrel with CO2.

After wasting 3 bulbs I have now discovered the problem. The bulb holder isn't compatible with the valve, even when it was at it's tightest the bulb was loose! I have cut the bulb holder down and its worked just hope my beer is ok after the glugging :?

Glad you got it sorted mate :)
Sorry I missed the bit about glugging earlier :oops: That's def not a good thing :nono: :nono:
Did you prime with sugar when you first kegged it? Did it have a week in the warm to fully carbonate before you moved it somewhere cooler? Is it a nearly full keg?
Sorry for all the questions just trying to establish whether you've got a gas leak or if the pressure was just low due to beer being drunk.
Generally you shouldn't need to add a bulb until you're halfway down the keg unless you're had a session in one night in which case it would of been low on gas
If it has glugged air in via the tap I hate to say this but you won't have long before the beer starts oxidising :(

Thanks eggman I'm glad I sorted it too because it was really bugging me.Yes I primed it and left it a week in the warm. It's my first brew and its been superb till today think its because I've had a few visitors this weekend wanting a sample that's caused it to need more co2 adding to it.how long do you think it's got left now then due to the glugging?I would say there's around 25 pints left in the keg.Thanks to everyone who replied much appreciated
Paul

I had it happen to me too when I first started out :oops: :oops:
It might last as long as another week but it will start off as a faint after taste after a few days then get gradually worse. It won't make you ill or anything but it will just taste ****
If you've only got 25 pints left get it supped as quick as you can, or get some mates round to help you out :drink: :drunk:
Next time as soon as the flows starts to slow down shut the tap before it glugs and get some gas in there.

So I've got to drink 25 pints within the next week? What a shame! :D :drink:
Like I said earlier its my first brew, its a woodfordes wherry and I'm absolutely gobsmacked that you can brew something that tastes this good at home,its a cracking pint better than the cask ale I drink at the local!
Anyhoo thanks for your advice eggman very much appreciated
Paul

No worries Paul.
The Wherry is a lovely beer, Nelsons Revenge also made by Woodfordes is in my opinion even better. It's fruitier and sweeter, and less bitter than the Wherry. Also all of the St Peters kits are very good :thumb:
Best get another brew on to keep up with demand ;)

Jon :cheers:

How will the brew go off if it's recarbed with C02?
The air will have gone to the top of the barrel and a new C02 layer will be protecting it!

Andyhull said:
How will the brew go off if it's recarbed with C02?
The air will have gone to the top of the barrel and a new C02 layer will be protecting it!

Yes the air will of have eventually gone to the top of the barrel, but it's passed through the beer on its way and it was a good hour or two before he managed to get the gas back in!
Maybe he will of got away with it, maybe not but it's better to know rather than being left with half a keg of ruined beer :x
I had an identical thing happen a couple of years ago and my brew spoiled :(

Back