Bottle conditioning - length of time?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyh

Regular.
Reaction score
I've read the bit about allow a week for every 10 points of the SG, so a beer at 1055 SG would be approx 5 weeks...

Does this hold true, and is that 5 weeks in bottles at room temp before heading to the cold?

Thoughts chaps?

:cheers:

No a week in the warm then move somewhere cool, but yes you're right a beer of that strength will take 5 weeks to mature fully

So that's 5 weeks in the cold?

It's been in bottles in the warm for two weeks so I will move it out to the garage

It will need the 5 weeks in the cold, nothing wrong with a sample after a couple of weeks though ;) :drink:

eggman said:
It will need the 5 weeks in the cold, nothing wrong with a sample after a couple of weeks though ;) :drink:

Hehehe I've got a stock building so it can wait a month :)

... Or can it :hmm: :cheers:

You need a fortnight in the warm really sometimes a week might do but a fortnight gives the yeast enough time to finish its job, if you stick it in the hut to early you may well go to taste it in a few weeks and have a flat sweet beer,

+1 on that. Depends on definition of 'warm' and 'cold'. I bottled AG#3 in early Jan and after 3 weeks in the warmer of my 2 beer cupboards (averaging about 13C at that time of year) and 4 weeks in the cooler one (10 C) it still hasn't fully carbonated (or cleared) but is tasting nice.

The week for every 10 points if gravity rule of thumb relates to proper maturity and flavour. My first 2 AGs (1042 and 1057) both seemed to reach their full potential at about 10 weeks although both were drinkable from earlier.

The 1 week per 10 points rule seems to be a good guide. Both my Wherry and Festival Landlord have come good after 4 weeks. The Landlord had an overpowering twang at 1 week but after 4 is getting very good. The Wherry just gets better each week too.

Out in the garage now, so I'll crack a bottle in two weeks and see how it's going.
This was my second biab batch, a honey based gold/amber ale about 5.3%ABV.

With a brew about to be bottled/kegged and my birthday brew already 3 weeks in the cold, April is gonna be a great month :D
:cheers:

Latest posts

Back