BeerSwap Feedback

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
redhousebrewing said:
Kinleycat said:
redhousebrewing said:
Having been patient giving the bottle 3-4 days to settle & chill after its journey it was time to sample a beer swap...

Ginger Bite (bottle 1A) - Lager/Ale flavoured with fresh ginger, 4% ABV.

A generous 750ml serving, served well chilled, plenty of carbonation, ideal for a lager/ale, nice and clear (its the start of condensation on the glass in the picture below rather than chill haze), lovely subtle aroma of ginger, poured with a head which subsided.
The ginger flavours come through nicely but with a little bitterness over and above a straight lager - very refreshing and could see this going down very well sat outside in the current weather!

Whoever brewed this should be very happy with the results. I'm a huge fan of ginger so this has me thinking on how to do something similar!

Very good effort :thumb:
Thanks for a great beer!
Stuart

ticket1a_zpsb89f2b9d.jpg
Thats mine, the lack of head i aren't overly impressed with on this one, it does keep a little better in a carling glass than most others i've tried it in.
Its a bog standard Youngs lager kit (that might explain the head) with 1kg DME and 40 teaspoons of pureed ginger that i brewed in March so its conditioned plenty. I would deffo do this again maybe not with Youngs as its quite a nice summer drink.
I will add a photo of one of mine that hasn't had to travel so far as the clarity looks much better.
Thanks for the nice review RHB!! :thumb:

Beerswap inspiration...
I found a jar of stem ginger in syrup in the cupboard :D I'm inspired for the next lager brew :thumb:
Congratulations on your patience - I struggle to give them that much conditioning time!
What a difference a glass makes!!!
null_zpsf280dc92.jpg

The one on the left in a well nucleated glass and the other in a standard glass.
I've supped the headless one and the with the head is still going strong.
null_zps3c5b7620.jpg

evanvine said:
scott-ayling said:
Review of 4f , since bottle looked to have settled and was a beautiful day I cracked open the bottle, was lovely and refreshing only critism was when poured in glass there was no head at all but tasted nice and that's the main thing , gave my mate a taste as he was helping paint my fence and he said would have been really good with more carbonation.
I'm the guilty party here!
It was a late decision to join in the Beer swap.
I don't normally bottle so took this out of my keg, added 1/4 tsp sugar and left for 3 weeks before posting.
Thank you for your comments, I quite understand about the lack of head and fizz! :thumb:

It was still a nice beer and enjoyed it, Thanks . I wasn't to prepared with mine it might still be a bit green hopefully who ever recieves it will enjoy it , im definently going to start bottling at least a few bottles each batch and store away for future bottle swap events

Bottle 3B arrived today safe and sound. It is in the fridge to settle and chill before sampleing on Friday probably. Very excited :party:

3D has arrived. The label has no information other than it'd ID. A small note read "please allow to settle for a week" . To paraphrase Harold Wilson "a week is a long time in beer drinking". I will try my best to obey the instruction. It is in a glass bottle with a crown cork and looks rather dark. Can't stop looking at it. I will fridge it to give it the best chance to clear but will, of course, allow it to reach close to ambient before I sample it. :cheers:

I've got a note through the door from parcel force!!!
Could it be?
It'll have to wait until tomorrow now, I hope that those irksome posties don't help themselves!!!

Review for bottle 1H 'Paddy's Irish-American Wheat'

Deep golden colour with the yeast dissolving nicely with a few swirls of the bottle, white head nearly reaching the top of my pint glass.

Wheaty/malt and slight banana on the nose.

Nice mellow tasting wheat beer starting with fruity notes leaning towards banana then a bit of grain and malt, easy drinking with just a bit of hops coming in towards the end leaving a pleasant slightly spicy note.

Overall a nice refreshing wheat style beer, just whats needed as the temp comes down to below 25°C in my living room!

I would be happy to drink this beer again and again, that's why we make homebrew :thumb:

This beer arrived in a glass bottle safely packaged inside a cardboard tube. It has sat for just under a week until I opened it tonight.
The label states it contains Maris Otter, Caramalt and Cascade Hops plus instructions on how it should settle before opening.

2F.JPG

Initial look - a nice straw coloured ale (lighter than in the picture), some signs of carbonation when first poured but ultimately little head and a lovely carbonation tingle to the tongue - just how I like my beers.

A nice full taste that includes a hint citrus in amongst the the other fruity components followed by a good hoppy after taste that makes you want another mouthfull.

To be perfectly honest - this is the beer that I have wanted to but failed to create ever since I started AG last Autumn.

Plllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeee can I have the recipe? I love it!

Graham

2B arrived today it's now in the fridge settling hoping to give it a try Friday night and at 9.3% it's not a mid week drink :-)

1H was mine.
I'm glad you liked it, it was a late entry into the swap cos my planned brew wasn't quite ready on time. I picked this last minute as I had a few lying around.
I was a bit worried cos I had one of these at the weekend, had been a while since I had one, and it seemed a bit past its best, apparently a wheat doesn't mature like an ale :doh:

Cool, it was yourself that got mine 2H, I had another at 5.7% and I tasted them head to head and the 7.2% was better (for my taste) so that's what I sent.

Msdean said:
2B arrived today it's now in the fridge settling hoping to give it a try Friday night and at 9.3% it's not a mid week drink :-)

I have bottle 1G clearing well in the kitchen. At 9.4% (in a very generous 500ml bottle!) it may also be the weekend before I crack it open!

Loving all the posts. Extra applause for sdsratm's label, with the integrated Bottleswap header. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Pakman said:
This beer arrived in a glass bottle safely packaged inside a cardboard tube. It has sat for just under a week until I opened it tonight.
The label states it contains Maris Otter, Caramalt and Cascade Hops plus instructions on how it should settle before opening.

2F.JPG

Initial look - a nice straw coloured ale (lighter than in the picture), some signs of carbonation when first poured but ultimately little head and a lovely carbonation tingle to the tongue - just how I like my beers.

A nice full taste that includes a hint citrus in amongst the the other fruity components followed by a good hoppy after taste that makes you want another mouthfull.

To be perfectly honest - this is the beer that I have wanted to but failed to create ever since I started AG last Autumn.

Plllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeee can I have the recipe? I love it!

Graham

2F was mine, Thanks for your great review Graham, glad you liked it and it hit the spot! :)

I'll dig out the recipe for you and send it over, you should be able to do some in time to enjoy at the end of summer.

As a couple of others have said it's really good to get feedback from others. I've had my dad and a few friends give good feedback but this is the first time fellow brewer has tried them.

Also well done and thanks to the organisers! A well run, excellent event, looking forward to more swaps. :cheers:

I think this is where the swap is really coming to life. The feedback is very good so far from all tasters and seems to be well appreciated by the senders.
Keep up the good work folks, I'm going to pick my bottle up this afternoon!! :thumb:

Bottle 2A (also known as brew 7) is safely tucked in the fridge awaiting settling and chilling.
I'm going to give this due respect and leave it to clear for a good few days.
The bottle (plastic 500ml) is nice and tight so looks well carbonated.
Thanks whoever!! :cheers:
Tasting notes to follow; probably mid week. :thumb:

Back