Smoked porter - feedback please!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamC

Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking to create a nice winter warmer porter with a slight smokey hint to it (nothing overpowering or considered Rauchbier territory). I've taken a porter recipe I found, played around with BeerSmith and this is what I'm looking at. Does anyone have any opinions or ideas?

2gal brew just to test to recipe

Pale malt - 874g
Rauch malt - 220g
Wheat malt - 154g
Chocolate malt - 120g
Amber malt - 70g
Crystal malt - 70g

Fuggles - 10g
Goldings - 10g
Both in for full boil period

Irish Moss - 2g added 10 mins from end of boil

No idea how that would work as i've not brewed with Rauch yet.

I'd be tempted to get it in the tun tho!

Same here never played with Rauch. If it does go in the tun I would like to hear your thoughts on it!

That looks to be Right on the money . . . its important to remember that Porter was an aged beer so any smoke character would fade well into the background, so go easy on the Rauch, you want a hint of smoke. . . . FWIW I've used 50% Rauch ina dark beer and it turned out wonderfully . . . Wez liked it . . reminded him of Caol Isla which is a great compliment.

Wahey, I'm getting good at this. Only brewed one beer and made up one new recipe ;) I did read that 50-65% rauch malt can give a 'smokey' beer which isn't too overpowering until it nears 90%. I don't want a smoked beer, as such, but a porter with smokey hints so went for the 80/20 split in favour of the pale malt. Will give it a go and keep you posted!

Going to try and knock this one out either today or tomorrow as then it could be ready for new year-ish. Ties in nicely with when I'm away too, so have ordered the rauch malt (already got the rest) and will crack on with it!

LOL - Yes. He looks like Santa so he probably gets a lot of that this time of year.

The porter is FANTASTIC. It's been in the fermenter since Friday and it started going straight away. Had a cheeky little taste when I checked the gravity last night and it's still got a long way to go but it's really chocolatey and bloody delicious :drink:

Latest posts

Back