Help With Port

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patientheron

Reaction score
My recipe for Blackberry & Elderberry Port (based around JK & CJJB)

1.4Kg Elderberries
2Kg Blackberries
1.6Kg Sugar
1 tsp Pectolase
Lalvin EC-1118 + Nutrient
Water to one gallon (turns out there's 6 Litres :? )

I've had this fermenting on the pulp for 5 days and just strained everything into a DJ tonight. I gave up trying to take a hydrometer reading at the beginning because I couldn't figure if there was a reliable way to do so with all the berries in the must :wha: Yes, I'm an amateur.

Anyway, I've taken one now and it's 1.020. Using various sugar content tables I've estimated the OG as about 1.128 (all the sugar in one go, sorry :nono: ). Can anyone help with my calculations or next steps? If my OG estimate is right then that seems like a very, very quick time for such a large drop in gravity :hmm: Help!

p.s. My plan was to add red grape concentrate after fermentation and fortify with a blackberry brandy I have infusing at the moment.

:hat:

back in the summer my must would drop about 30 points a day

if the conditions are right it is feasible to drop 100 points in 5 days

you need about 6lb or 3kg of fruit for port

so looks like you are in the right place :thumb:

just remember you can make a wine from the pulp...
so don't throw it away!

I made up my first Blackberry & Elderberry wine this time last year based on this recipe ;- http://www.burfordhopsandvines.co.uk/page.asp?id=70 used 1kg blackberries, 1 kg elderberries, 1.25 kg sugar, half litre red grape juice.

Left it to bulk mature in the DJ for 11 months then bottled, I've no SG readings however had a small glass sample at the bottling stage and IMO this is closer to a port rather than a wine, very promising though! Planning to leave 'till Xmas before opening a bottle.

Thanks godfrey, that's very encouraging to hear. Is such a quick fermentation detrimental to the final result or is that just to be expected in the right conditions? I have a brewing cupboard that is kept at a steady 22C.

Like Slate Miner, I'm planning on maturing this for at least a year before the great unveiling. I tasted a little sample last night and I'm pretty sure it's going to be great. On the table for Christmas 2014! I know... I shouldn't say the 'C' word.

patientheron said:
Like Slate Miner, I'm planning on maturing this for at least a year before the great unveiling. I tasted a little sample last night and I'm pretty sure it's going to be great. On the table for Christmas 2014! I know... I shouldn't say the 'C' word.

I think you will probably need a few more years. at lest 2 if not 3 for it to start tasting really good, but really over 10 yrs in the bottle :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

:eek:

Talk about perspective! I've just been reminded of the ignorance of youth (in a brewing sense).

10 years makes sense for a port, of course. Why didn't I think of that! I reckon I could put away a few of bottles for that category. Maybe a couple more as a 5 year 'junior' port. But one early uncorking next year for the purpose of research and development. :drunk:

Which begs the question... when will you open it? Will there ever be a 'special' enough occasion? Or is it a case of, "I've waited 20 years, why not 30."

patientheron said:
Which begs the question... when will you open it? Will there ever be a 'special' enough occasion? Or is it a case of, "I've waited 20 years, why not 30."

I have missed all special occasions or significant moments. i have to wait another 5 years for the next one, which is when i intend to open it. I have started to learn how to make Stilton so I can have a cheese befitting to port to go with it.

Stilton making! Now there's an idea. I was just considering what new smells I could infuse my cottage with to impart that authentic 'farmhouse' aroma. Port brewing, cheese maturing and maybe some live-in cattle should do the trick.

Have you seen the film Sideways?

that's one of the lines in that film, it's about two middle aged blokes who go through the California vineyards on a stag do, ones a wine conoiseur, and the other just want's to get plastered. the first one is the stag, and he wants to enjoy the wine, and he has a bottle at home that he's saving 'for a special ocasion' but has yet to find one special enough, and this woman asks him if he'll ever find an ocasion special enough? She says that with a wine that good, just the fact of opening and drinking it should make the special ocasion in and of itself. He ends up taking it in a brown paper bag to a fast food joint, and drinking it whilst eating a burger, with every sign of exstatic enjoyment on his face.

Crastney said:
He ends up taking it in a brown paper bag to a fast food joint, and drinking it whilst eating a burger, with every sign of exstatic enjoyment on his face.

I like that idea :lol:

Back