A little guidance needed please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tropicalpisshead

Reaction score
Just a couple of quick questions I could use your advice on.
I am about to rack off two x one gallon demijons. Is it advisable to use a crushed campden tablet in each/
and would I do this before or after racking?
if before, how long should I wait before racking.
Any advice will be greatly welcomed.
Cheers
Big Al

Hi Al, what are you making and what are the gravities or how long have they been going?

If it's wine, then I would rack when all signs of fermentation have finished, plus a week.

One Campden tablet to the gallon. Crush the tablet to a powder between two teaspoons, tip that powder into the receiving jar and then rack, it helps to guard against infection and oxidation.

Some people like to rack wines before they have finished (which I don't personally understand), in which case do not use CTs.

Moley said:
Some people like to rack wines before they have finished (which I don't personally understand), in which case do not use CTs.
Im doing a Beaverdale Cab Sauvignon ATM, and the instructions say that the best result is obtained if the wine is racked off at 1010.

I agree with Moley, you're probably best letting it finish fermenting before you start racking. As for CTs, I've never bothered to use them during racking and haven't had any problems, but that's just personal preference. If you want to use them it's one crushed CT per DJ into the receiving DJ (as Moley said)

Thanks gentlemen
Both have well and truly stopped working now so I will rack them this coming weekend and I think maybe for safetys sake as I live in a very warm climate I will use the campden tablet
Once again
Cheers
PS one of them is strawberry and the other is pawpaw.

Back