Aaargh king keg nighmare!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nobby_n

Reaction score
What a day! Drove 220 miles home, looking forward to transferring my first ever Wherry into a king keg. However I found out that the lid on the keg I was using was from an old rotokeg or similar, couldn't get it sealed, every time I gave it a shot of gas it leaked, possibly out of the exhaust valve. Not to worry, I thought, I had a second king keg that would just need sanitising, took the lid, sanitised it, put on, quick squirt of gas and.... beer p*ssing all over my legs from the bottom tap seal which was new today! Tried to tighten by rotating the tap and beer started gushing out!! I quickly put keg on its back, co2 hissed out and I had a few minutes to think.. but how could I empty the keg, couldn't undo the tap enough to completely remove it, putting keg upright to remove top would lose most of the beer from leaky tap...(bottom type tap)
Fortunately I had taken the tap apart yesterday when cleaning so was able to take the tap barrel out leaving the tap elbow in, force my syphon tube round the corner and syphon the contents into the second, now sanitised keg. Rescued all but about a pint that had gone on the floor!
However, does anyone know how to get a decent seal on the tap? Should washer go inside or outside? On my other keg there is very little amount of tightening possible until the nut slips and jumps the thread.... :wha:

Might graduate to a cornie in a while. Anyone know about the tap washers?

Are you gassing a full keg? You don't normally gas them until the level drops, as natural carbonation does the first pressurisation for you. The gas was probably escaping out of the seal, as it was over pressurised. It could be why the second one leaked out of the tap washer, too.

Latest posts

Back