Milestone Crusader fruit beer mod.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aethelstan

Reaction score
I have a milestone crusader kit which was recommended at my local hbs as something that is close to Wychwoods Wychcraft. My better half loves Wychcraft, which is labeled as a blonde beer, but it seems nigh on impossible to buy. I am planning on brewing 20 pints as per the instructions using one tin of extract. The other tin I want to experiment as a fruit beer because my better half wants a cherry fruit beer. Being a beginner, I would like to run this past some more experienced brewers for feedback and suggestions :)

I would start with 2 x 400g of frozen cherries from Sainsbury's and cover them in the fermenter with 1 gallon of boiling water and add pectolase, leaving sealed for 24 hours. Then I would add the tin of extract and make up to 18 pints, and pitch ale yeast. The reason I would go to 18, rather than 20 would be to get a slight boost to the hoppiness to balance with the cherry. Once it has fermented out, should I use finings, or just prime and bottle?

If anything seems amiss with my plan, please let me know :)

Thanks

I would stick to brewing the kit properly with both tins for 40 pints and buy a commercial fruit beer kit or buy another cheap one can kit and make that a fruit beer instead. :cheers:

I'm still very much a newbie, but my first thought would be to add cherry flavourings.

Cherry.jpg

Why would you suggest using a cheaper kit for a fruit beer? Being a true noob at this, I like to know why things are suggested so I can learn :)

Good idea about the cherry flavouring, is that the stuff used for flavouring neutral spirits?

Aethelstan said:
Why would you suggest using a cheaper kit for a fruit beer? Being a true noob at this, I like to know why things are suggested so I can learn :)

Good idea about the cherry flavouring, is that the stuff used for flavouring neutral spirits?

Just in case it turns out **** you haven't lost out too much :thumb:

When I did that kit it didn't really taste like Wychcraft. It wasn't hoppy enough so you might want to do something about that.

Having said that it's worth trying the kit as is just to see what you think of it. I thought Cursader was a bit bland but other people seem to think differently.

My local Lidl does an occasional offer on Wychcraft so it's worth looking there now and again.

I am still new to the whole real ale thing, but I definitely prefer heavier brews and tend towards rubies or porters. The wife is the one who likes the Wychcraft, so if you say this kit is not as hoppy perhaps I should brew it a bit short? I understand the hoppiness is measured in some kind of units, so perhaps I can calculate how short to brew this kit to achieve the same taste.

Or you could dry hop or add a hop tea to the brew after fermentation.

Latest posts

Back