Back to land

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewingBob

Reaction score
Hi!

I've been living on a yacht for 6 years, at anchor so no bills for mooring, mortgage council tax, water, electric. Got very used to what I earned being all mine (I work on the net).

Now I'm back on land again with all of the bills so trying to save a few quid and have a little hobby doing some homebrew.

In our new house the bathroom seems the most suitable place to do first fermentation in my new, standard, 5 gallon fermenter. But Mrs Bob isn't too keen on the aesthetics of a large white plastic barrel.

Thinking about getting one of these linen cupboards from Ikea which I think will accommodate 2 fermenters and a couple of demijohns of wine too (also to keep Mrs Bob happy):
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/10268852/

But it's £210 inc delivery. I'll need to make a good few brews to offset that cost!

Any other suggestions?

I'd stick it in the outhouse but then I'd have to heat it etc etc (not to mention have to tidy the outhouse!)

Thank you! :cheers:

Hi BrewingBob,

An alternative that I'm going to try, an old upright fridge or freezer, I can put a shelf in a tall one and it will take two fermenting buckets, add a tubular heater and thermostat, and it should work, I put a heater and an old room stat in our airing cupboard that I built, does well for one fermenter but the daughter says it stinks! Well it is in her room! So I'm on the lookout for an old upright or larder one after all they are already insulated so shouldn't cost too much to run.

The annoying thing is we replaced ours earlier this year and left the old one outside and sure enough 'Steptoe' came round and collected it, butI hadn't thought about using it then!

Latest posts

Back