Anyone tried Young's New World Saison

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Young's New World Saison

Made per instructions and put in FV on top of boiler with temperature at 32°C on 03/02/2016

OG 1054
Initial testing was a sweet start with a bitter finish

04/02/2016 Seventy millimetre of Krausen and very vigorous activity in the morning, wort temperature still at 32°C

17/02/2016 SG has levelled out at 1003 adding hops in muslin bag ABV calculates at 6.5%

21/02/2016 4 days in the fridge then bottled in PET and swing top bottles with Cooper's carbonation drops 1.5 per 500 ml.

26/02/2016 had to have a taste of one of these as they seemed to have carbonated okay.
Sweet, spicy and hoppy, the aroma is great and the fresh hoppy flavour is fantastic. Think it will improve even more with age.

05/03/2016 had a couple (three) of these after another week in the garage. Flavour is improving and getting even more complex. All in all I'm really happy with the outcome of this one and with an abv of 6.5% am feeling no pain either.
Another successful Young's kit.

The higher temperature of the fermentation seems to have been a success.

Made this one for the first time just after Christmas and I'm well impressed with the results.
I'm putting a second batch on this week and I'm keen to tinker with it a bit; maybe put the hops to one side for an American IPA and substitute them for Citra or something... I was also toying with the idea of doing a batch and adding some cherries or blueberries at the same time as dry hopping - Aldi sell very good frozen fruit and I would pop it in a muslin bag like I do with the hops. Anyone tried adding fruit before? Any tips or advice? Cheers, Dave

Brewed this 3 weeks ago, in between doing an all-grain NEIPA. Got an OG of 1.052 @ 20°C, after I increased the batch size to allow for fermenter loss, so lowering the OG. Stuck it in a temp-controlled chamber for 14 days, set at 29°C. It finished out super low at 1.001, so is now sat at 6.7% ABV!

Tasted it, prior to bottling, and thought it was really good. Nicely late-hopped, with that very "saison" sourness. If only the weather matched the drink as it's a belting style on a hot day, when served very cold. Can't wait to try it in a months time, when it should be at its best.

Kit recommended, if you can keep temps steady and high.

I'm considering asking Santa for this, I fancy having a go at a saison or some other Belgium type brew. I've had a quick Google, but can't see any reviews for alternatives to the NWS. Any recommendations?

Fermented fine at 29 to 30 but very cloudy on completion. Putting outside in the cold for a few days made little difference. Bottled and is carbonating well. Expect this will take a couple of months to clear adequately.

Back