4 litre all grain help for a newbie

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamroe

Reaction score
Newbie looking for some help please anyone...

I've made a couple of very small all grain brews to give brewing a try and I've really enjoyed it. I've been really impressed by the end products too.

I'm now looking to try and brew some other beer but I'm struggling to find recipes. Can anyone help me either with a recipe or a better understanding of how to scale down.

Ideally I'd like an IPA!

Any advice greatly appreciated

Down load Brewmate. It's free and easy too use (It has to be for me to use and understand it. Tried some of those spread sheet calculators and couldn't make head not tails of em). You can then plug in whatever recipe you like and change brew lengths to suit

All you do to scale down is divide each ingredient's weight by the brew length in the recipe and multiply by the brew length you want. But it's easier to do what MyQul suggests, download Brewmate, enter the recipe as it is and then alter the brew length to whatever you want. You can then adjust the recipe as you wish, make notes, and store your recipes. It's free, and easy to get to grips with.

Great advice, thanks. BrewMate looks pretty impressive, I'm off to take a proper look now.

Glad its not just me who couldn't understand some of these other ones.

Have you got any suggestions for a nice easy brew that doesn't have loads of different types of grain or hops to keep me going for now?

SMaSH (single malt and single hop) beers are propbably what your after. I've never actually made one. They use a pale malt only then you use whatever hop you like as the bittering hop and aroma hop.

Just google 'SMaSH beer recipe' and you get loads of hits

The more I brew the more I favour simple recipes. Hops I like, good yeast. I like to use 90% pale malt, 5% Caramalt, or pale crystal, and 5% malted or torrified wheat.

Then bitter with hops to 30 - 40 IBUs, or higher for IPAs, and about 30 -60g or more at 5 mins. Or after switching off. Dry hop if you fancy.

Using just one hop is good for sussing that hop out. Or use two that are often used together. EKG and Fuggles, cascade and Centennial, Amarillo and Simcoe, Green Bullet and Nelson Sauvin, Challenger and Progress, Northdown and First Gold have all gone well for me. Styrian Goldings or Bobek work well at 5 mins or dry hop, with English hops. The options are endless.

Liquid yeasts are worth the money in my opinion. You can use them for multiple brews. But maybe stick to dry yeast while learning. Nottingham and Mauribrew Ale have been good for me, Nottingham is dry, Mauribrew is fruitier.

These suggestions seem right up my street, thanks.

Really like the idea of understanding more about the different ingredients so going to start with a SMaSH brew or three and then give your idea a try, clibit.

I'll let you know how I get one.

Thanks for the advice and no doubt I'll be back soon asking for more.

Down load Brewmate. It's free and easy too use (It has to be for me to use and understand it. Tried some of those spread sheet calculators and couldn't make head not tails of em). You can then plug in whatever recipe you like and change brew lengths to suit

Or if you only have an android device, try Brewzor Pro.

I've made a couple of very small all grain brews to give brewing a try and I've really enjoyed it. I've been really impressed by the end products too.

I'm now looking to try and brew some other beer but I'm struggling to find recipes. Can anyone help me either with a recipe or a better understanding of how to scale down.

Ideally I'd like an IPA!

Graham Wheeler and Roger Protz,Brew your own Real ale at home.
Terry Foster. ,Pale ale.
Terry Foster. Stouts and Porters/
Gregory Noonan. Scottish ale.
David line,the big book of brewing.
C,JJ Berry. Beers and Stouts.
Byron Burch, Brewing quality beers.
Old British beers by Dr Johnson and members of the Durden park beer club.
Belgian ale, Pierre Rajotte.
Lambic,Jean Xavier Guinard.
german wheat beer, Eric Warner.

If you get on the Amazon site you will see hundreds of brewing books. Also your local library may be able to get some for you.

Ideally I'd like an IPA!

Find any recipe for 5 gallons. Lets say you have 6000 grams of pale malt. Divide that number by 5 then you have 1200 grams of pale malt for 1 gallon .multiply the 1200 by the amount of gallons you want.:cheers:

I love doing IPA's, am currently using marris otter as the main grain, with crystal malt and acid malt as well in much lower proportions, as well as DME LME and target hops, gervins G12 is my current fave yeast for this

Think I'm ready to get brewing tomorrow. Taking the advice above and trying a SMaSH brew. Going for Marris Otter and Citra this time round.

Never used Citra but have tried a beer with a high Citra content. Not for me really, although I understand that hop heads are pretty keen on it.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Back