Stevie123s brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stevej

Pale malt 3260g
Torrified Wheat 390g
Crystal Malt 275g
Black Malt 12g
Start of boil
challenger 17g
Progress 17g
Fuggle 8g
Last 15
goldings 14g
Yeast 05
Black Sheep recipe what do you think any thoughts on improvement ?
Regards Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks fine to me, 05 probably not the closest yeast but not totally unsuited and will make a nice beer.

Thanks Clibit il go ahead with it then or do you think a 04 would be better
Regards Steve

Nah just crack on, the 05 will be fine IMO.

As clibit says, 05 is fine if that is all you have to hand but if you have both 05 and S04 I would go with the S04 because Black Sheep is a English Bitter so I'd want some fruity esters from the S04 rather than the more clean 05

Yes i do have both packets and on second thoughts i think i will use the 04 thanks for your help
Regards Steve

All done target gravity 1046 end up with 1045

Bubbling away today this is my third go at biab dont no why i was so worried about trying it a year or two ago its so easy with better results than kits much fresher tasting and no homebrew smells i.e yeast,I would like to thank everyone for there help and support on my journey to better beer cheers chaps
Regards Steve

Bubbling away today this is my third go at biab dont no why i was so worried about trying it a year or two ago its so easy with better results than kits much fresher tasting and no homebrew smells i.e yeast,I would like to thank everyone for there help and support on my journey to better beer cheers chaps
Regards Steve

Yes i will be my third attempt too when the grains arrive soon. Both the previous attempts were awesome, soooo awesome infact that i had to hide my beers from my kids and his fiendish friends who were raiding them and quaffing the golden nectar!! Its a sad day when you need to take security precautions against beer plunderers! I only did one kit brew and it was ok but not a patch on the all grain.

A couple of daft questions
First of all ive noticed my all grain beers seam to brew really fast is this normal im down to 1012 already since saturday brewing at 18c!
Second my latest brew seams a bit light in colour is this down to the amount of black malt? maybe a bit more next time ?
Regards Steve

Beers can get close to final gravity in two days, depends on yeast strain, temperature, aeration.

12g of black malt won't have much impact on 19 litres. You'll need 40-50g probably. But is making it darker better?

Not really however it does look like a lager lol and thanks for your help yet again Clibit
Regards Steve:thumb:

Not really however it does look like a lager lol and thanks for your help yet again Clibit
Regards Steve:thumb:

There are plenty of ales around that are as pale as lager these days. And many of them are fantastic.

Any recommendations for a ruby coloured ale thats full of hops and nice and malty for saturdays biab
Regards Steve

Are we talking American hoppy? Very bitter, or just hop flavour and average bitterness?

Hop flavour Clibit but with a slightly sweet edge if possible dont no how to achieve this loving the biab tho instead of boring kits ive done around id say getting on 100 there nothing like grain beers
Regards Steve

Here's a possibility.

Reduce the amount of pale malt if you want less than 5.7% ABV.

You could use different hops, but if the alpha% is different you'll need to adjust quantities for bitterness. 45 IBUs is quite bitter but not very bitter. The 84g of Amarillo will make it very hoppy.

Batch Size (L): 19.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.058
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.70 %
Bitterness (IBU): 45.7

3.800 kg Pale Ale Malt (80.68%)
0.450 kg Wheat Malt (9.55%)
0.400 kg Crystal 60 (8.49%)
0.060 kg Roasted Barley (1.27%)

14.0 g Summit Leaf (17.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
28.0 g Amarillo Leaf (8.6% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil)
28.0 g Amarillo Leaf (8.6% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma)
28.0 g Amarillo Leaf (8.6% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop)

Safale US-05

Thread hijack alert.

SteveJ's mention of his brew looking like lager has triggered this.

I used to like a Vaux (Sunderland) brew called Lambtons which was also pale like a lager. It's now made by a company called the maxim brewery, set up by three ex-Vaux people. I'd love to be able to make a clone. On their web site they tell you the style, abv, grain and hops used. Do you need the IBU (bitterness) and SRM (colour) values or can you get close without them.

Link to their description below :-

http://www.maximbrewery.co.uk/brands/lambtons.aspx

Possible ?

What I've learned about more hoppy flavors here is that you greatly reduce the bittering addition and gain your IBU's with the flavor and aroma additions, and if you are after that much more do a whirlpool and/or dry hop.

An American IPA goes from 40-70 IBU's. Mine seem much less flavorful and so I reduced my bittering addition and added a bit more to the flavor and aroma additions, but also moved up to try to try to get around 100 IBU's. I've also tried whirlpooling, but haven't had the beer matured enough to try yet. But this is looking for whats known as the west coast style IPA.

Color can be achieved in a few ways. Boil longer or use the appropriate grains. Try using a brew calculator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back