Adding Coffee To a Beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

advisabledata

Reaction score
hey guys has anyone added coffee to there beer to get the coffee flavored ale, and when would the best time to add also what coffee style to add to kits???

I've only done it once, added a jug of Americano filter coffee to a stout kit (can't remember which one) added it to the bin at the start of fermentation. Anyway all I can remember is it wasn't enough, couldn't taste it. :? Would think you would have to add quite a lot.

My friend is a head brewer and he makes a really nice coffee stout. I'll ask him when he adds it and report back. I seem to recall though that you make a strong black coffee in the normal way and add it, but I'm not sure at what stage. I'd probably say flame out stage whilst the wort is still hot if anything?

Well I have a ground coffee machine so all I drink is ground coffee. I was thinking about just putting a Muslim bag with so much in at a stage of the brewing process.

From memory I thought cold soaking way to go to extract flavour and remove bitterness

I know Mikkeller recommends just a normal French press coffee I think added late in the ferment. I think I'd do a cold brewed coffee personally. I've also read that adding whole beans to the fermenter as you would a dry hop yields good results. All that is to say there's a variety of opinion I guess. Probably unhelpful. Let us all know how it works out.

Possibly not possible for a lot of people, but I think I may try adding espresso at home when I get a chance. It has the advantage of emulsifying a lot of the oils in the bean (hence the crema) which is why it does taste different. The smoothest flavour in my opinion comes from filter (or Aeropress).

Most important thing though: fresh beans. Up to one month post-roast date is a good start.

i might buy a coopers IPA or Stout and find out buy adding either a muslin bag of Ground Coffee or buy adding a cup full of expresso out of my coffee machine

Which brewery is he at Glyn?

have added coffee to a stout I did, put it in too early in that case as couldnt taste it

Not sure if Greg Hughes owns a brewery but he's an author of brewing books. I know he owns (or partners) brewuk.co.uk.

I spoke to my friend today and he says he does cold coffee and ads it when racking into the FV. He says cold coffee has a less bitter taste in the final product. Trust me, I've tasted it. It's good :)

Interesting stuff. So what would be the advantage adding to secondary for 5 days instead of immediately before racking? I'm going to add 500ml espresso to a 25L brew!!

Latest posts

Back