Adding Coffee To a Beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a Muntons stoup kit and added vanilla and coffee.

What I did was make a pot of very strong coffee, strained it and added the coffee as part of the water allowance, I steeped the vanilla in with the coffee. I'm convinced that it at be as well to dangle the coffee grounds in a muslin bag in the first ferment, a few posts say that the cold brew method gives a smoother result.

Initially, I couldn't taste much of the coffee but after finding a few bottles that got away in the back of the cupboard the coffee flavour is more pronounced. The vanilla flavour wasn't anything to write your aunt about, it stared off week and disappeared. I didn't use anywhere close to enough vanilla pods.

Hope this helps.

Here are some tips i found.

Only time I added coffee was in secondary. Get some whole beans, crush them with a rolling pin, and soak them in vodka for a day or two. Then dump vodka and beans into secondary and rack on top.

I do the same but I do not add the vodka (maybe next time). I also recommend tasting the beer after a day or two because the coffee flavor can get intense! Also put the coffee in a hop bag.

My friend recently kegged a coffee porter, and it's the first beer between the two of us with coffee. He was advised by a local brewery to add a few ounces of coarsely ground coffee directly to the fermenter, no booze or hop bag needed. The grounds sank to the bottom and it was easy to rack the beer off without picking any grounds up. I think he left it contact around 5 or 7 days (1/2 cup of grounds), pretty much what you'd do for dry hopping. He gave me a growler over the weekend, and I think it came out well.

Latest posts

Back