Brew No2 - Coopers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geratcha

Reaction score
Currently on day 5 of this brew - Canadian Blonde. OG - 1039. Removed the Krausen yesterday. Had a look today, should there be any obvious signs to look out for to check that fermentation is continuing?

I've got the kit in a water tub with a fish tank heater and realised that the temperature strip has both the 22 & 24 colours highlighted. Could it be too high? The barrel is about 2/3s submerged so assumed this would drop temp a few degrees.

I wasn't too happy with my first batch of coopers lager as it lacked a bit of depth so was going to leave longer in the primary - maybe a full 14 days and dry hop with 50g of Cascade pellets on day 9. Would this match ok?

Any advice would be appreciated

That's a good plan IMO. Fermentation is likely to have slowed to a trickle. Leave it alone and check with a hydrometer after 14 days. Stick the hops in about day 9.

Cheers. Will update thread in a few days. If it turns out well I may put some items for the next stage in brewing on my Christmas list - move on to extract

I've got the kit in a water tub with a fish tank heater and realised that the temperature strip has both the 22 & 24 colours highlighted.

Stick a thermometer in the water - I've got some of those strips and they read a bit high e.g. mine was indictaing 24C but when I read it with a thermometer it was 21C.

Fish tank heater in a trug was the best �£13 I've ever spent on homebrew kit, you get a real consistent ferment compared to leaving it to the mercy of household temps

50g of cascade in. Used a Muslin bag as I don't want hops all over the place in my brew. Will be bottling Sat so hopefully turns out well!

FG is 1013. Have taken out the bath and will be bottling Tuesday I think. Will be using glass bottles for first time... hoping to pop a few in home made hampers for xmas presents.

Had a wee taste... you can certainly taste the hops... maybe too much. Will it mellow as it conditions in bottles?

Anyway... so far so good! Cheers for the advice

Back