Bottle Conditioned Beer List

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In response to my post about those Beer52 beers, I cultured up some bacteria instead of yeast so won't be trying it out in my next brew.

Umm was spot on. Well that tasted like a homebrew cider with raspberry syrup and a good dash of weird vinegar. A good dash. How anyone can enjoy that is beyond me. Perhaps i should of saved it for chips. aheadbutt

I'm not keen on sours either. @strange-steve assures me that if I were to keep trying different ones I'd find at least one I'd like but I dont fancy buying pints/bottles of things I wont like until I do

Three more for the list :

- Old Luxter's Barn Ale and IPA, I think it's the primary strain. Cultures up easily but not used it yet.
- Wiper and True. All of their beers that I've tried have a good layer of sticky sediment that's easy to recover
- Butts Brewery Barbus Barbus. Again a nice sediment that's easy to recover

I'm planning on making a session bitter as a test brew before Christmas split between these three and a couple of others (Fuller's and Shepherd Neame)

Three more for the list :

- Old Luxter's Barn Ale and IPA, I think it's the primary strain. Cultures up easily but not used it yet.
- Wiper and True. All of their beers that I've tried have a good layer of sticky sediment that's easy to recover
- Butts Brewery Barbus Barbus. Again a nice sediment that's easy to recover

I'm planning on making a session bitter as a test brew before Christmas split between these three and a couple of others (Fuller's and Shepherd Neame)

Will add them to the list.

Last edited:
Had a Windswept Wolf of Glen Moray the other day, port cask version and noticed a sediment, just checked and seems all their bottles are bottle conditioned, not sure what the yeast is though...

Last edited:
Had a bottle of Savour British Saison last night, very nice and definitely yeast in the bottle dregs. Says unfiltered and bottle conditioned on the label, bought in Waitrose. acheers.

I've just bothered to read this thread ...
Schneider Weiss is almost certainly the primary strain as even I managed to culture it up. Goes like a rocket with all the right flavours and aroma.

Had a bottle of Savour British Saison last night, very nice and definitely yeast in the bottle dregs. Says unfiltered and bottle conditioned on the label, bought in Waitrose. acheers.
About this Beer
This Saison delivers a burst of Belgian yeast spices and lemongrass flourish on the nose which are complimented by the floral, citrusy Crystal hops. The refreshing, bittersweet mouth feel is brought to life through Champagne effervescence created by a secondary fermentation on Champagne yeast.
Obviously not primary yeast.

I've had an email from Greene King about their Heritage series (Suffolk Pale Ale and Vintage Fine Ale) saying, and I quote, 'Our Heritage bottle conditioned beers are reseeded with the original Greene King yeast strain.'

So they look like a decent possibility?

I've had an email from Greene King about their Heritage series (Suffolk Pale Ale and Vintage Fine Ale) saying, and I quote, 'Our Heritage bottle conditioned beers are reseeded with the original Greene King yeast strain.'

So they look like a decent possibility?

Seems so. Shall add to the list

There is a small Malvern Brewery called Friday which sells bottle conditioned beers. I am going to have a go at culturing some. Does anyone have any idea what yeast they use? This bottle is Summer Hill which is a lowish ABV pale ale.

There is a small Malvern Brewery called Friday which sells bottle conditioned beers. I am going to have a go at culturing some. Does anyone have any idea what yeast they use? This bottle is Summer Hill which is a lowish ABV pale ale.
I don't know if it is correct, but I have heard it said/read that many breweries you SO4, SO5 or Nottingham dried yeasts. So, unless you know for sure that they are using their own liquid yeast strain is there any point in culturing the dregs of the bottle?

I don't know if it is correct, but I have heard it said/read that many breweries you SO4, SO5 or Nottingham dried yeasts. So, unless you know for sure that they are using their own liquid yeast strain is there any point in culturing the dregs of the bottle?
Second that. I've seen great packs of the powdered stuff come out of the fridge in many small breweries.
Keeping wet yeast often seems to be one step beyond for them unless they have a working relationship with a larger, nearby brewery.

Back