Chinook / Nelson Sauvin / Cascade PA advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamGriff

Reaction score
Hi,

Just a bit of a hop query - having made a few AG brews previously, mainly by sticking to recipes I've found, I'm making the most of a day off work tomorrow and brewing a pale ale.
I'm planning on using 2.5kg MO, 1.5kg Vienna, 250g Caramalt and 250g Carapils... And aiming for ~23L.

Then I'm not quite sure where to go hops-wise but I've got 100g Nelson Suavin, 100g Chinook pellets and 100g Cascade pellets. I bought them with the aim of using Chinook for bittering and NS for aroma, then doing another brew exactly the same at a later date with Chinook then Cascade, as I'd like to see what differences I can detect. (I'm also going to use Safale US05 yeast).

So, can anyone offer me any tips / advice / suggestions on hop additions and amounts? Otherwise I'm going to have to wing it!

Cheers

I've just put it through beersmith. It will depend on alpha acid values of the hops you have but assuming Chinook is around 13%, Cascade 6.8% and N Sauvin 12% you could so something along the lines of
25g chinook at 60min, 25g cascade at 10min , 20 g cascade at 5 mins and 20g cascade at flameout
For N Sauvin which has higher alpha you could cut back chinook to 20g at 60min, then do 25g NS at15min, 20g NS at 5 min and 20g NS at 0min/flame out.
That should give a bitterness in the mid 40s which I personally like....but others here would probably put more in.

IBUs depend a lot on your OG, as well as personal taste. What is the OG going to be?

based on the malt bill the OG looks like it'll be around 1.040..... so mid 40s IBUs it's fairly hoppy. I like my pale ales with mid 40s IBU for OGs of 1.055-1.060.

Mid 40s would suit me with that OG. I like a definite bitterness. Other wise drop it, 35-40 would be typical.

Excellent, thanks for the advice.

Yes I'm aiming for an OG of 1040ish. My cascade has an aa of 5.2, chinook 14 and NS 12.07, so all pretty close to your estimates.

I fancy making it reasonably bitter but not overpowering, so a 40 IBU sounds good too.

I'll have a go with those additions and let you know how it works out!

Cheers.

given the chinook is a little more alpha (14 vs 13) to get sometihng in the 40-45 range I'd probably trim things as follows (as orginal additions ended up above 50 esp for NS with chinook at 14%)
Chinook 20g 60min, NS 10g 10min, NS 20g 5mins, NS 20g 0min.
Cinook 20g 60min, Cascasde 20 10min, Cascade 20g 5min, Cascade 20g 0 min.
Again its personal preference.... but keeping the later additions high should highlight the NS and cascade flavour/aroma.

Thanks again TartanSpecial, that's great.

And thanks Mike, that calculator will definitely come in handy.

I love the hops you mentioned iv used them in most of my brewing. I've just finished brewing a Canadian blonde and I added these hops 2 weeks till tasting will let everyone know if palatable

Personally i'd bitter with Chinook early, use Nelson Sauvin at flameout and dry hop with Cascade. That'd be my tuppence.

Back