How to remove bottle labels the easy way.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just found this thread. This is one of the reasons I stopped bottling . Perhaps you could get your wife/ partner/butler to hold the bottle while you attack the label with a rotary wire brush on an angle grinder. Remember to wear eye protection. I tried this method once by holding the bottle in a vise, but the bottles usually smashed. Another way would be to attack it with a blow torch.asad. Hope this helps.

An old thread I know, but one that has well and truly saved my bacon! I have a Festival Belgian Pale Ale that's upward of 6.5% which has meant a mad dash to collect 330ml bottles. I just want to verify that WD40 works a treat on stubborn glue. And it doesn't get much more stubborn than on Punk IPA. So long as as much paper is removed as possible, a quick spray and scour and the glue comes straight off. Phew

An old thread I know, but one that has well and truly saved my bacon! I have a Festival Belgian Pale Ale that's upward of 6.5% which has meant a mad dash to collect 330ml bottles. I just want to verify that WD40 works a treat on stubborn glue. And it doesn't get much more stubborn than on Punk IPA. So long as as much paper is removed as possible, a quick spray and scour and the glue comes straight off. Phew
Just a quick addition. I'm not meaning to contradict you in any way, but I've found that Punk IPA labels come off in one go and very easily IF you keep them dry and have them warm to the touch.

If you can pick up the corner of the label, you can raise not just the thick paper layer, but the glue layer below as well, which is like a sticky sheet of its own. If the temperature and pull is just right, you can sometimes get the whole thing off, including all the glue, in one move.

I recommend 'sticky stuff remover' / 'sticky label remover' (I can't remember what it is called exactly) or 'Goo Gone' for any stubborn remnants.

Ah, I did have one where I managed to take off the whole label in one go come to think of it. The remaining half dozen I'd already removed most of the paper after soaking. If anymore Punk's come my way in the next few days I'll heed your advice :thumbsup:

Ah, I did have one where I managed to take off the whole label in one go come to think of it. The remaining half dozen I'd already removed most of the paper after soaking. If anymore Punk's come my way in the next few days I'll heed your advice :thumbsup:

If I had a quid for every label I'd scored and soaked and scraped and then found a way around, I'd be a rich man :) The foil and acetate style ones often get me that way too.

Cheers!

Jim

Just give the vegetable oil a try if it works with WD40. It takes overnight but sometimes it works a treat and is cheaper.

The WD40 just happened to be to hand and with no veg oil and only a smidgen on Napolina olive oil available, I didn't want to face the wrath! I'll give the veg oil a go next time round athumb..

For some unknown reason, the labels on the bottles of the really cheap ass beer from Lidl just slide right off when soaked in water. It's a mystery!

I have to say, the guy who recommended vegetable oil and a scouring pad, you've revolutionised my delabelling method.

Those that I can't peel I savage with a knife to take off the label and rapeseed oil amd steel wool takes off the glue in seconds.

A little fairy liquid to remove the grease and it's all done!

Thanks.

I used a scoop of soda crystals dissolved in water, glue dissolved and labels slid off after a few minutes.

I've not tried it on plastic, only a batch of 40x Flensburger empties, with paper labels. If I try it on plastic, I'll report back athumb..

I found that plastic labels like Camden Brewery uses have a glue that oxy type sanitiser products won't loosen. I peeled off the plastic then used wd40 to remove the glue residue and rinsed off with fairly liquid so it's not ideal. I'd be glad to know if there's an easier solution, excuse the pun.

I don't really understand the drama with removing labels. When I empty the bottle i rinse it, then I soak them in hot water, often overnight and then most come off quite easily with a metal scourer. Very occasionally there will be a stubborn one. The only one I ever gave up on was St Peters Citrus.
Admittedly if you have left them all to do on the morning of bottling it would be a major pain but if you do it as you drink them it really is no big deal and I don't use any chemical, just water.

What about plastic labels?

:laugh8:

1594655367951.png

I’ve found with clear printed plastic labels on bottle can be easily removed by filling the bottle up with hot water and then wait a few minutes to peel them off. Don’t put the bottle in water. The heat from the inside seems to soften the glue.

For very stubborn paper based labels you can always use a scraper that is used to remove paint off glass. They have a Stanley knife blade in the end of them.

Back