Cold crashing below zero...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRedDarren

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi dudes,
I made a porter recently that I cold crashed for a about a week or so, I set the FC temperature to 0.1°c, the water in the blow off bottle froze so I'm guesing the temp was fluctuating a little, and it seems that the porter has not carbed up quite as much as intended (5.1g/l of corn sugar, batch primed), I've primed another porter at this rate and it was fine but I cold crashed that one at 0.3°c.
I'm wondering if the colder temp might have knocked out some of the yeast?

I had the same thing I bought a second hand fridge on eBay to replace my old one that stopped working only it was far more efficient & froze my beer at the coldest setting.
It wasn't completely frozen just a gient slush puppy. the beer is carbing up nicely but has taken a bit longer than I would expect
I'm sure yours will be fine with time:thumb:

I had the same thing I bought a second hand fridge on eBay to replace my old one that stopped working only it was far more efficient & froze my beer at the coldest setting.
It wasn't completely frozen just a gient slush puppy. the beer is carbing up nicely but has taken a bit longer than I would expect
I'm sure yours will be fine with time:thumb:

Ah cool, I'll stick with it for a while then, thanks.

Looks like you're on yr way to making a filthy ice beer ;)

(see also [ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6nnR4trUKVo[/ame])

Freezing yeast doesn't kill it so I'm with brewmarc, it should be fine. How long has it been carbing for?

I did do some resurch after my misshap you have probably lost only about 10% of the viable yeast left for carbonation. So no real problem just a little extra time.
If you freeze your beer solid which will be well below 0C due to alcohol content then your yeast will be f*****.:-?
If this happens re pitching is the only way, unless you force carbonate in kegs.

I have been conditioning for two-weeks at room temperature, then cooling down by transferring to my store/brewhouse at roughly 12 degrees c for a couple of weeks. During the winter I crash cool outside prior to serving (for a party etc). Is this OK?

Back