Martin's Brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
16 Lt @ 1050. Scaled back as only had 120g cascade, ie 80% of the GH recipe. Had hoped for 18l.

All finished by 7.30pm. 6 hours for 2 brews suggests some economy of time.

Cheers martMa

Brew day! Greg Hughes black ipa

5.5kg mo
170g carafa iii
225g chocolate

Mash 1 hr at 65C

Boil 1 hr

30g Apollo start
30g citra last 10 mins
45g amarillA flameout
45g citra flameout

Dry hop with 45g citra after 4 days

CML pale ale yeast

Cleaned and sanitised last night. HLT on. Let the fun commence!

Got a notification that this thread had some new replies! I just brewed the Black IPA from the Hughes book as well, although I had to change the hop schedule since I had a bit of Nugget and Cascade to use up. I don't think I have ever been able to brew exactly from a recipe without having to make some adjustment! :-) Still conditioning so I will know in a couple of weeks how it turned out.

Just wanted to reply on the double brew day question. I have done a couple of these recently and I think there is a time economy saving. A single brew day takes me 6 hours on average, but a double one about 8. I heat the strike water for the first brew and mash as normal then ensure I heat enough water in the tank for sparging, the second mash (obviously needs to cool a little) and whatevers left goes in a spare FV to be used for the second sparge. then whilst the first brew is boiling I top the remaining sparge water up with water boiled in the kettle (got a spare one down in the cellar!). problem is usually you are sparging whilst you also need to switch the first brew off and start chilling but thats not a biggie.

How do you do yours? I am always looking for ways to be more efficient so wondering if there is anywhere else I can do to improve it.

Btw - I live in Prague but am Norwich born and bred. :-)

Got a notification that this thread had some new replies! I just brewed the Black IPA from the Hughes book as well, although I had to change the hop schedule since I had a bit of Nugget and Cascade to use up. I don't think I have ever been able to brew exactly from a recipe without having to make some adjustment! :-) Still conditioning so I will know in a couple of weeks how it turned out.

Just wanted to reply on the double brew day question. I have done a couple of these recently and I think there is a time economy saving. A single brew day takes me 6 hours on average, but a double one about 8. I heat the strike water for the first brew and mash as normal then ensure I heat enough water in the tank for sparging, the second mash (obviously needs to cool a little) and whatevers left goes in a spare FV to be used for the second sparge. then whilst the first brew is boiling I top the remaining sparge water up with water boiled in the kettle (got a spare one down in the cellar!). problem is usually you are sparging whilst you also need to switch the first brew off and start chilling but thats not a biggie.

How do you do yours? I am always looking for ways to be more efficient so wondering if there is anywhere else I can do to improve it.

Btw - I live in Prague but am Norwich born and bred. :-)

The Black IPA is lovely - and was well received at the event and by the beer club. Hope yours turned out equally well.

Cheers

Martin

Brew Day!

Farmhouse in my Soul Saison - using the CAMRA recipe.

OG target 1041
FG target 1002
ABV 5.1%

1350 Pilsner
1350 Vienna
900 Wheat

Mash@ 67C for 1 hr
Boil 1 hr

14g Northern Brewer 60 mins
12g Saaz 15 mins
12g NB 10 mins
12g Saaz 10 mins
6g Williamette 10 mins
12g NB 5 mins
12g Saaz 5 mins
6g Williamette 5 mins

Yeast Belle Saison @20C

Never made a Saison before, and my water needed a good bit of CRS to prepare it properly. Mash on at 12.45....let the fun begin!

Cheers

Martin

21l at 1040/1041.

Happy with that.

Martin

Attachments

• 20180731_165101.jpg
    20180731_165101.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 103
The Black IPA is lovely - and was well received at the event and by the beer club. Hope yours turned out equally well.

Cheers

Martin
The beer came out very well, it is just more like a slightly hoppy porter than a Black IPA. The late hop additions didn't come through as much as I hoped, will have to double them up next time! Cheers!

Just bottled the Saison. The FG was spot on at 1002 (so low!), but it doesn't taste too dry at all! The Belle Saison has a very distinctive character and quite attractive.

It sat in the brew fridge at 20C for two and a half weeks as the family were away. Bottled very clean and I got 33 PET bottles.

Really looking forwards to this one.

Incidently, as Belle Saison is such a beast, do I need to be especially careful with cleaning and sterilising the FV/bottling want etc?

Cheers

Martin

Just bottled the Saison. The FG was spot on at 1002 (so low!), but it doesn't taste too dry at all! The Belle Saison has a very distinctive character and quite attractive.

It sat in the brew fridge at 20C for two and a half weeks as the family were away. Bottled very clean and I got 33 PET bottles.

Really looking forwards to this one.

Incidently, as Belle Saison is such a beast, do I need to be especially careful with cleaning and sterilising the FV/bottling want etc?

Cheers

Martin

No the belle Saison is pretty standard so other than normal good cleaning and sanitation practises you will be fine.

If you like Saison you should make it your business to try out wyeast 3711 or WLP590 or WLP565. A bit more expensive but much much more character than the dried Saison yeasts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well I love the saison. Crisp clean and satisfying. So I'm doing another. Got the malt Miller kit for the partisan lemon and raspberry saison. Recipe attached.

Clean and treat water tonight. Brew tomorrow.

Cheers

Martin
20180906_185122.jpg

I am a fool.

The missus is away, so 8pm mash on.

Bang on 67C.

Got to pick up the lad from scouts at 9.30. It will be a stretch to get the boil on for then, but I can only try. I might cut the mash to 50 mins...
Cheers Martin

Back