Mash paddles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dont have a very clear pic,
10369198455_abe77ab18e.jpg

10369138315_a3bb726b0d.jpg

but its a 1m long handle ss catering padle
21RzjjegTsL.jpg

they appear on amazon and ebay at a reasonable price, fairly frequently im 80% sure i got mine via amazon? currently some git on amazon wants �£90, i paid circa �£30 delivered..

im afraid my ebay or amazon purchase is well beyond archive retrieval (ive looked a few years ago)

wait a few weeks and keep checking for a reasonable price or low starting ebay auction imho.

you can qmax some holes in the paddle face if you want, i prefer to keep it whole as the slight delay n filling a divit allows me a quicj glance to check for the dry flour traces (not that i ever spot em underleting and mashing in with that beauty ;)

found a £36 one on amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005T34ZI6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont have a very clear pic,
10369198455_abe77ab18e.jpg

10369138315_a3bb726b0d.jpg

but its a 1m long handle ss catering padle
21RzjjegTsL.jpg

they appear on amazon and ebay at a reasonable price, fairly frequently im 80% sure i got mine via amazon? currently some git on amazon wants ��£90, i paid circa ��£30 delivered..

im afraid my ebay or amazon purchase is well beyond archive retrieval (ive looked a few years ago)

wait a few weeks and keep checking for a reasonable price or low starting ebay auction imho.

you can qmax some holes in the paddle face if you want, i prefer to keep it whole as the slight delay n filling a divit allows me a quicj glance to check for the dry flour traces (not that i ever spot em underleting and mashing in with that beauty ;)

found a �£36 one on amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005T34ZI6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Flipin Eck! You could get yourself up and down the Amazon with that :shock:

Last edited by a moderator:
lots of leverage and no sign of a wobble or a flex of the handle like some brew spoons and paddles.. and woe betide any intruders who make me jump mid mash in ;)
i can mash 15kg of grain (dry) so something designed for a 5-6kg mash wouldnt be upto it..

for smaller brews in the g/f i will use a smaller paddle tho
16477999864_8c697e72c2.jpg

which came from brewuk iirc https://www.brewuk.co.uk/gf-steel-paddle.html
you wouldnt want to dig into 15kg of grain with that puny little paddle tho

brewuk also have this mid sized option..
https://www.brewuk.co.uk/steel-mega-paddle.html

Cheers for the replies! I have just ordered one similar to your picture above! Got it from homebrew online..free as I had accumulated enough credit in their loyalty scheme! I added a bit of speciality grain and some hops too.

I've been looking at this one on ebay, stainless steel 24 inch for £13. Not as pretty as that wooden one though.
Click

I've got a stainless steel one already, it's just I need something with a bit more of a substantial handle for when I'm doughing in the grain

I've got a stainless steel one already, it's just I need something with a bit more of a substantial handle for when I'm doughing in the grain

That's interesting, do you mean the SS paddle isn't sturdy enough? I've been using a plastic paddle up to now so looking for an upgrade.

That's interesting, do you mean the SS paddle isn't sturdy enough? I've been using a plastic paddle up to now so looking for an upgrade.
No it's sturdy enough, just towards the end when most of the grain is in, the end of the handle digs into my hands a bit when stirring it (I need to man up a bit :lol:)

slip a bit of (new n clean) garden hose over the handle top to bulk and soften its feel in your hand. if feeling flush get some fancy cushioned cycle handle bar tape :)

I've been having the same issue. I have the same style as Clint showed in the pic. It's great in general but my hand cramps up from doughing in 4 kg of grain, just a matter of the "handle" being too thin to get a proper grip. I was going to get the wooden one form GEB for my birthday but the guy at the homebrew shop told my wife that wooden ones tend to go moldy. She just had her giant wooden jam spoon go mouldy so chickened out. I guess it's possible if it's not cleaned properly. Definitely need something better to grip before I do the up coming big brews.

The force is with me...

You've been on a bit of a shopping spree recently matey!

Edit - just saw you got this free, but still the gods of shiny are looking kindly on you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been having the same issue. I have the same style as Clint showed in the pic. It's great in general but my hand cramps up from doughing in 4 kg of grain, just a matter of the "handle" being too thin to get a proper grip. I was going to get the wooden one form GEB for my birthday but the guy at the homebrew shop told my wife that wooden ones tend to go moldy. She just had her giant wooden jam spoon go mouldy so chickened out. I guess it's possible if it's not cleaned properly. Definitely need something better to grip before I do the up coming big brews.

I've got a really long handled wooden spoon that I sometimes use to mash in with. That's not gone mouldy. I dont do anything special to prevent it going mouldy

Latest posts

Back