Preparing for BIAB

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdeDunn

Reaction score
So, as mentioned, I'm currently gathering equipment to take up BIAB all grain brewing. So far I've purchased:-

30 litre SS brewing pot (no tap, so going to be syphoning to FV from this, I'm planning to do around 15 litre length into FV brews)
Analogue dial thermometer (Had to tell my wife firmly that NO, she is not allowed to check my temperature coroner style with it... I like my liver undamaged. :lol:)
Bag suitable for mashing in
Smaller bag suitable for hop additions during boil
Small copper immersion chiller on order

I'm also thinking that an SS mash paddle would be useful, rather than trying to mash with either of my 2 plastic brewing spoons.. Oh and I have my wife's permission to use her cooling rack to drain the bag over the pan with, until I can get my own (a hoist isn't an option, no shed or garage). I also plan to persuade my wife to let me get an auto syphon, in addition the the so called U bend siphons we already own (about 4 of them... lol), to make getting the wort from pan to FV a bit easier (I currently use a disposable syringe to start the siphon going as found this easier).

I already have a selection of FVs to use (my faves are the Love Brewing 30 litre buckets, they leave lots of space for the krausen even in a 23 litre brew, and the lids fit really well on them), etc etc from brewing kits, cider and mead.

So, the question is, am I missing anything (other than the obvious grain, I have some on order, and more hops. :thumb:) equipment wise? Having read around I don't think I am, but just want to double check. I've done it before, when you think you have everything, only to find when you come to do it you've missed something obvious...:doh: At the moment, our (my wife and I) are planning 15 litre into FV brews, mainly focussing on making Saison and pilsners (I love how simple many of the recipes are for these) whilst I get the hang of things.

Thanks in advance, as always.

Have you got a Fray Bentos Pie in the larder ready for your brewday ?

Other than that your list looks fairly comprehensive to me.

I'd recommend an auto-syphon, great piece of kit. I always syphon the first half pint or so into a jug and bin it, as at the start of auto-syphoning you introduce a fair bit of air into the wort.

Also a refractometer and bottling wand are good.

Have you got a Fray Bentos Pie in the larder ready for your brewday ?

Other than that your list looks fairly comprehensive to me.

Had to give them up bud, I have GERD and they set it off something rotten. :lol: Oddly I can still eat their puddings just fine. :thumb:

I'd recommend an auto-syphon, great piece of kit. I always syphon the first half pint or so into a jug and bin it, as at the start of auto-syphoning you introduce a fair bit of air into the wort.

Also a refractometer and bottling wand are good.

Yeah, I'm pretty set on wanting an auto-syphon, so much less faffing. :thumb: Got a bottling wand (little bottler), it's made bottling so much easier than it used to be before I had one! I set aside a bucket with tap for bottling from too, so it's always clean, sanitised and ready if and when I need it. Got a bottle washer and drying rack tree too, it's all seriously streamlined bottling, with me filling whilst my wife cleans the bottles for me.:thumb: Good call on the refractometer. Shame the one I have is a salt water model really, not a brewing one, so doesn't read high enough for brewing use. It's a lot less faff than a hydrometer though, not least as you can calibrate for the correct temperature with that little screw. Yeah, good call on that one for sure, thanks. :thumb:

Wort chiller came today, not bad for £33. I hope. Lol
054147a94a9f4d383f1f762097a9c818.jpg

One auto-syphon set ordered (syphon, bucket clip and flow stopper). :thumb:

I took the opportunity to order an SS mash paddle too, realising that I really don't fancy trying to mash grain using a rather bendy plastic brewing spoon (they're bad enough stirring kits....)... :lol:

Sadly, my wife wants me to use the Youngs US IPA kit we bought before I try an all grain brew though.... :rolleyes: Here's hoping that she doesn't remember the Wilko's cerveza kit I have stashed away too.....:lol:

One auto-syphon set ordered (syphon, bucket clip and flow stopper). :thumb:

I took the opportunity to order an SS mash paddle too, realising that I really don't fancy trying to mash grain using a rather bendy plastic brewing spoon (they're bad enough stirring kits....)... :lol:

Sadly, my wife wants me to use the Youngs US IPA kit we bought before I try an all grain brew though.... :rolleyes: Here's hoping that she doesn't remember the Wilko's cerveza kit I have stashed away too.....:lol:

combine the 2 kits into 1 brew with some hops an then there out of way ;)

combine the 2 kits into 1 brew with some hops an then there out of way ;)

I wouldn't want to ruin the Youngs kit (it's a goodun, with a load of hops for dry hopping with etc). :lol: I've got Saaz and Hallertau hops in the freezer (25g of each) to dry hop the cerveza with (already experienced the naffness of a coopers one to know not to try without a bit extra... :lol:). Not to mention a shed load of brewing sugar and light dme in my brewing kit draws...:twisted:

The amusing thing is, I drink 4 pints a week max.....:lol: I really enjoy brewing though. That's the good thing about going all grain though, I can brew in smaller quantities.:thumb:

Latest posts

Back