Mobile apps

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmaguy41

Landlord.
Reaction score
I’ve seen both beer Smith and brewers friend have mobile apps. I don’t currently own a computer so will be buying one of these. Anybody have any experience with the mobile versions of either of these?

I’ve seen both beer Smith and brewers friend have mobile apps. I don’t currently own a computer so will be buying one of these. Anybody have any experience with the mobile versions of either of these?

I use brewers friend on my iPhone. Does the job and easy enough to use , has alarms and timers for brew day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use beer Smith and love it. I think there are some YouTube vids comparing both. I’ve never used the other so can’t really tell you which is better or easier to use.

I use brewers friend on my iPhone. Does the job and easy enough to use , has alarms and timers for brew day.

Do you need to prescribe to brewers friend or beer Smith to make the app useful though?
Can't remember which one I downloaded but it seemed pretty useless without paying an annual subscription so I got a refund.

I rarely use the laptop so would much prefer a mobile app, I don't mind paying initially but don't want anything that involves an annual subscription.
I've got a couple of free ones I use at the moment, ( a couple because neither do everything I would like) but if anyone can recommend a stand alone app that dosn't need a subscription. I'm all ears.

Edit free apps I use at the moment are simple brew and brewtracker.

Do you need to prescribe to brewers friend or beer Smith to make the app useful though?
Can't remember which one I downloaded but it seemed pretty useless without paying an annual subscription so I got a refund.

I rarely use the laptop so would much prefer a mobile app, I don't mind paying initially but don't want anything that involves an annual subscription.
I've got a couple of free ones I use at the moment, ( a couple because neither do everything I would like) but if anyone can recommend a stand alone app that dosn't need a subscription. I'm all ears.

Edit free apps I use at the moment are simple brew and brewtracker.

No, I use the free one. Similar to above I’ve never used the other though so can’t compare.

I use the Brewer's Friend app on my iPhone. I find it's great for developing my own recipes. It saves them and you can adjust the ingredients to suit different styles of beer. The only thing I can't seem to find on it is calculating efficiency. So I use the website for that.

No, I use the free one. Similar to above I’ve never used the other though so can’t compare.

I can't find a free version of brewers friend available on android maybe it's no longer available or just available on I phone, the reviews suggest a subscription is necessary.

I'm unclear about beer Smith though wether that will work as a stand alone app or a subscription is necessary, I think that may be what I downloaded before then got a refund on.

It’s an option but you don’t need to. Is it just to download the app ?

The Beersmith subscription is only if you want to increase the number of recipes you are storing in the cloud. The app is pretty good, but I've noticed android kills it from time to time if it goes into the background, which is quite annoying. I could see that messing up a brew day.

I use Wort on Android. It seems to work really well and you can easily create and adjust recipes. Can't say how it compares to others as I haven't tried them.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

Back