Adding Dry Hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
My Wilko IPA(brewed on the 13th Nov)has just completed fermentation. I hope to be drinking by xmas (4weeks away)
I am going to add 25g Cascade & 25g Citra to dry hop it.
When would be the best time to do this and fir how long?
Also what would give best beer.

A. Keeping in FV for another 2 weeks before pressure barrel?
B. Barrel right after dry hopping is finished.
C. Or any other suggestions.
Ty

Put into secondary and dry hop straight away leave 5 days then batch prime and barrel it, somewhere warm for 2 weeks after priming then somewhere coldl for the rest of the beers life,

Nothing beats a nice cold cascade ipa

Always around day 5 of primary for me just as the initial activity is starting to subside then another 5 days dry hopping before kegging as long as the hydrometer is constant

Thats my Wilkos IPA.completed (brewed 16 days ago).
I now plan to dry hop with 25g citra & 25g cascade in a bag and leave till Monday (5 days). I'll then pressure barrel and leave for 24 days till xmas.
Does this sound ok?
Or would I be better using just one of the hops to dry hop?
Also my woodfordes wherry og 1040
Has stuck around 1018. It was suggested that once I rack my IPA that I use all the trub from the bottom of the FV that I add it to the wherry giving it a good stir to restart fermentation. Any feedback will be appreciated.

I wouldn’t add the trub from the ipa.
Invariably I have found that just the process of racking a beer from one Fv to another will restart fermentation. This only has to be done gently without introducing loads of additional oxygen.
This will very often restart a stuck brew and also knock a few points off a brew you perhaps thought may have finished, and of course you will be getting it off the trub and aiding the clearing process to boot.
Two weeks in primary, rack, leave for a week and then keg has become the norm for me. Your hops could go in when you rack....

Thats my Wilkos IPA.completed (brewed 16 days ago).
I now plan to dry hop with 25g citra & 25g cascade in a bag and leave till Monday (5 days). I'll then pressure barrel and leave for 24 days till xmas.
Does this sound ok?
Or would I be better using just one of the hops to dry hop?
Also my woodfordes wherry og 1040
Has stuck around 1018. It was suggested that once I rack my IPA that I use all the trub from the bottom of the FV that I add it to the wherry giving it a good stir to restart fermentation. Any feedback will be appreciated.
IPA:- Your plan looks OK to me, and whichever way you use the hops it will work. However the big advantage of using a single hop is that you find out what they contribute to a beer if you haven't used that type before, whereas if you mix them the outcome is slightly muddled. In the end it's your choice. And dont forget to test your PB for pressure a few days in to make sure you have no leaks, better find out then than after 3 weeks.

Stuck Wherry:- Numerous posts on here about this, including two recent threads. My suggestion is here
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=721217&postcount=2. I have not tried the trub method. It should work, but make sure you transfer it over as soon as the IPA has been siphoned or drained off, and be careful not to splash any beer as you do it.

Latest posts

Back