Lets Us All Buy a Woodfordes Wherry Kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woodfordes Wherry was last kit brew I ever did, that must have been about 12 years ago.
I don't think I even finished a bottle of the vaguely beery bland rubbish, it made me vow to never make another kit beer again. I decided then that unless I could brew beer comparable to a good beer on tap at my local, then I would throw in the towel until I had the time and space to make it from scratch.
That time arrived about a year ago when I jumped feet first into all grain (not literally of course), and I am happy with the results but still just at the bottom of the learning ladder. This hobby I guess can be as basic or as complex as you want to make it.

How much is a Wherry - £20ish? I've just bought enough grain and hops for the next seven brews for £42 thanks to the HBC's Black Friday effort. No stuck fermentations in that lot - guaranteed!

I don't think I even finished a bottle of the vaguely beery bland rubbish,........

You obviously brewed it wrong. Maybe it was the water, or the yeast, or the method?

Who knows; but my brother always taught me ...

"It's a poor workman who blames his tools!"

... and to blame a Woodfordes Wherry Kit for producing a poor beer is very similar.

Woodfordes Wherry was last kit brew I ever did, that must have been about 12 years ago.
I don't think I even finished a bottle of the vaguely beery bland rubbish, it made me vow to never make another kit beer again.

Twas also the last one I made.. and that was only cos of time constraints. Turned out to be the worst kit I've ever made, hands down. Nowt gone wrong with it, just not good and once I'd got some proper stuff made, the remaining 15 or so bottles went down the plughole.

You obviously brewed it wrong. Maybe it was the water, or the yeast, or the method?

Who knows; but my brother always taught me ...

"It's a poor workman who blames his tools!"

... and to blame a Woodfordes Wherry Kit for producing a poor beer is very similar.

Unlikely - I've done well over 600 AGs and not one was as bad as that. The yeast supplied by Muntons you mean? Well that could be a factor...

A pour workman blames his tools?

Hardly fair when you take over a job two thirds of the way through and you've been left with insufficient materials to finish the job off.

I'd rather go on a long chilled out walk, than start doing kit brews, especially a Wherry.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

If you brewed short, say 18l, and dry hopped with something to actually give it some flavour it would be alright, but probably only alright. I would say sub out the yeast but it was fine on the one and only occasion I brewed it. Brewed straight it really is insipid.

I'd not bother again, particularly when there are some good kits out there

I have done 2 WW now. One straight up and it stuck and had to be reached with some wilko's yeast.
Second was brewed short to 18l using S-05 yeast and dry hopped with challenger and the bottles were carb'd with brown sugar. Left it a good while to mature and it was a very pleasant pint on a sunny Sunday afternoon.

My wife wouldn't thank me if I did, she's already having to drink all of the bottles that came from the one I did.... The flavour is far too subtle for my tastes, insipid even. Nothing to do with bad workmen blaming their tools, just more to do with some people like different beer to other people. If this wasn't the case then we'd all love Fosters etc, or it just wouldn't exist any more.... :lol:

I spent less tweaking a Wilko's 1 can golden ale than the Wherry kit cost me, and it tastes a LOT nicer thanks to a nice big dry hop, CML US Pale Ale yeast, spray malt and dextrose I made it up with... That and the Youngs AIPA are the only kits I'd even consider making again, if I wanted a break from AG (yeah, full convert here).

I made a Headcracker kit first, even that stuck and had to be repitched, but at least the beer is something I could just about drink.... :lol:

Probably be better for those who LIKE Wherry to spend their time and money finding a yeast that gives similar results with the kit as the kit yeast but without the stick than flog a dead horse.

To be honest the wherry was my first batch of hb and it did stick...I was very apprehensive cracking the first bottle but it wasn't bad at all. In fact I remember feeling quite smug about it...sitting on my bench in the sun sipping my first pint...
If I see one on offer I'll buy it...and see how it turns out being subjected to temp control and a subbed yeast from the off.

Got the woodfordes sundew RA in the FV ATM.at £18 for 40 pints thought I'd give it a go,brewed it yesterday as per instructions and with the supplied yeast,started off fermenting after around 18 hours and is now going at a good rate with above average flocculation. Hope it doesn't stick like the wherry as that's what steered me away from it

Got the woodfordes sundew RA in the FV ATM.at ��£18 for 40 pints thought I'd give it a go,brewed it yesterday as per instructions and with the supplied yeast,started off fermenting after around 18 hours and is now going at a good rate with above average flocculation. Hope it doesn't stick like the wherry as that's what steered me away from it
Same yeast, same chance of sticking. You might be lucky.
I hope you like it. I didn't. :-(

I'm quite partial to a pimped Wherry, 25g hop tea, 50g dry hop, 50g of dark brown sugar and swap out the yeast. It does take a long time in the bottle but does come good, saying that though, I've never paid full price for one.

Back