Floaters in bottle?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrobertson

Reaction score
So this is my second bottle batch that has been conditioning in the bottle for the past week and today I have noticed most of my bottles have small floating bits at the sides of the bottles, can anyone shed light on what these are? Sorry my camera is not that great

B97D5F85-9FDF-4124-A4DF-565B3C415878.jpg

1F31FA37-C2A4-4468-92A3-B7799857C58B.jpg

38FB96B7-4A51-484F-B397-F80DBF6AFCFC.jpg

500B8B3B-4855-49DE-BAE8-560F79191FDA.jpg

What is the beer? Could be bits of hop matter, especially if it was dry hopped and especially if the dry hops were pellets. If you chill the bottle right down does it settle to the bottom?

I think I have seen this before and it was yeast it eventually just sunk to the bottom.

Stick a few in the fridge and see how they change

I get those. It's flocculated yeast. Place the bottle upright on a flat surface and sharply twizzle it around a few times and the bits will fall slowly to the bottom.

After sticking one in the fridge and giving another a little spin the floaters have settled so I’m happy that it’s just yeast and my beer will be ready for Xmas 😊

Just out of interest - did you use gelatine to clear the beer? I ask because I've never had those floaters except for the first (and last) time I used gelatine a few months back. They did fall after agitating the bottle but I didn't need them in the first place!

Its just the yeast sticking to the inside of the bottle. As the yeast drops out, it will stick to any microscopic imperfection on the inside of the bottle. Once a week(while conditioning) give each bottle a tap on on the bottom and a little twist. It will all drop clear.

Back