Missing gravity readings

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephenj

Landlord.
Reaction score
After a bit of advice and reassurance on recent brew.

BIAB 10 L Stone IPA clone using Brewersfriend to scale it.

2.5k Bohemian Pilsner
.5 Caramunich

5g Magnum @60
10g Chinook @60
10g columbus @15
10 g centennial @3
10g centennial 7 day DH

Used CML Ale Yeast @22C

14 days at 19c, then dropped to 12c last few days to clear

Target OG 1.070, achieved 1.062
Target FG 1.014, ach today 1.023

Target ABV 7.35, ach based on readings and BF calculator 5.13%

I'm fine with the OG drop as I only have a 13l pot so to achieve a 10l batch I'm having to sparge and add water to the boil, and not too bothered about the ABV of 5.13, it's just missing the FG reading by so much which is more 'worrying'.

Any ideas what might have happened?

All used within 2 days of arrival from Malt Miller, so as new as they send it out. Nothing done differently or missed from previous brews using CML yeast.

How long was your mash. Temperature? How did you mash in. What sort of water volumes did you use. What sparge technique did you use

I'm hitting too low an FG. Not too low really but m trying to get lower ABV 's cos I keep getting myself blootered and SWMBO isn't too happy about it.

With last night's brew I mashed at 70C as opposed to the usual 63-65. I believe this higher temperature range produces more unfermentable sugar chains and so should result in a higher FG. I'll see in a months time I suppose.

Was your mash temperature quite high?

If anybody sees this as incorrect, please do correct me. I'm fairly new to it all and don't want to end up giving a bum steer.

It doesnt matter if you "over shoot" or "under shoot" your OG. Though its nice, there are too many vairibles (sp). If you over shoot just dilute with water, if you under shoot just add some DME (Its always good to have a bag just in case).
Its your FG that matters.

67C for 60 mins BIAB in 10L water. 3 L dunk sparge after a little squeeze. Topped up to 12L using this water and 1 litre boiled water

I had that yeast stick on me too, the only ever stuck brew I ever had but it could be it just needs more time

is it 14 days now? tried to agitate it at all? you could gently gyrate the fermentor to try and agitate it and put it somewhere warmer to see if that pushes along activity..

Try to get the temperature of the wort up? At this stage you are unlikely to harm it if you go to the top of the yeasts range, like 24C. It's in the earlier stages when you might produce fusel alcohols. I think if your 1.023 is accurate you need to do something, so if warming it doesn't work try a rehydrated reliable yeast like Nottingham. That's what I think, anyway.

I'll give the raising a go. Bloody hard with the temps up here in Gateshead at the minute, my bucket of water and fish tank heater don't seem to be cutting the mustard in the garage. The airing cupboard might be getting apprehended.

Latest posts

Back