Reusing bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob

Reaction score
Hey,
I was just wondering what the deal is with reusing bottles from shop bought beer, my kit recommends not to and I have done some reading around that suggests most bottles are too thin and so may explode, anyone have an experience with reusing bottles? I am talking mainly about lager bottles such as Becks etc because most of the ale bottles I have seem pretty thick and I am sure they would be OK.
Thanks.

Brown thick heavy ale bottles = great

Thin green lightweight lager bottles = not worth the risk (imo)

Lager needs more carbonation than ale, you may end up with bottle bombs.

Thanks for the replies, I might try a thin lager one as an experiment, I will have to put it somewhere where it wont do any damage if it explodes.

I have used the bud minis for bottling . . . or plan to . . . To test it I carbonated an ale to 3.5 Volumes . . . WAY more that I would ever carbonate an ale 1.2-1.5 Vols . . . It's now 6 months and the bottle has not broken yet

I know someone who does and they work ok, but I always buy new, just to be safe. They are very cheap.

Go to your local boozer and ask the landlord to save you Bulmers and Magners brown cider bottles, I've now collected around a 100, never had one explode!!
DON'T BOTTLE TO EARLY AND YOU'LL BE FINE!!

John

Two problems with green lager type bottles.

1: You Risk skunking your pride and joy.

2: most commercial lager bottles are designed to use the least amount of glass possible, to a) reduce raw material useage and b) reduce cost, therefore they break very easily, c) they are easier to recycle as they break up into small pieces quickly.

Use brown beer bottles, or magners ones, or if you want your beer in green bottles= grolsch bottles.

Shane

Back